Just below first inaccessible cardinal

• I
  • Thread starter tzimie
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of inaccessible cardinals and their heights in relation to other huge cardinals. It also explores the possibility of defining multilevel cardinals using a single level notation. The expert summarizer is not familiar with this topic but suggests that it may make sense to consider fixed points of a function that maps ordinals to ordinals.
tzimie
First inaccessible is "above" all [tex]\aleph_0, \aleph_{\aleph_0}, \aleph_{\aleph_{\aleph_0}}[/tex] etc.

My question is what is the "height" of that tower, can it be not only infinite, but also as huge as [tex]\aleph_{\aleph_{\aleph_...}} \big\} \aleph_{\aleph_0}[/tex] so the height of the tower is defined by another huge cardinal?

Does adding more levels to that structure (cardinal defines the height of a tower of another cardinal, which defines the height a tower on level 2, etc)

[tex]\aleph_{\aleph_{\aleph_...}} \big\} \aleph_{\aleph_{\aleph_...}} \big\} \aleph_{\aleph_0}[/tex]

bring anything new, or any "multilevel" cardinal can be defined as using a single level notation?

Physics news on Phys.org
tzimie said:
First inaccessible is "above" all [tex]\aleph_0, \aleph_{\aleph_0}, \aleph_{\aleph_{\aleph_0}}[/tex] etc.

My question is what is the "height" of that tower, can it be not only infinite, but also as huge as [tex]\aleph_{\aleph_{\aleph_...}} \big\} \aleph_{\aleph_0}[/tex] so the height of the tower is defined by another huge cardinal?
I don't know about the notation using the symbol N0, N1, N2 etc. This cardinality topic is somewhat beyond my knowledge. Probably someone more knowledgeable and/or comfortable with this topic can give a better response (hopefully my response doesn't contain some major inaccuracy). But nevertheless, still here is my thought on it.

I think it should make sense. Simply thinking about it in terms of Ω (first uncountable). Let's write Ω as Ω0. Let's simply define a function f (from ordinals to ordinals I guess?) such as:
f(x)=Ωx=x-th uncountable ordinal

Now assuming that the fixed points for this function work in the same way as for countable ordinals (f should be a normal function), we have its first fixed point as the supremum of (fn denotes composition of f n times):
A={f(0),f2(0),f3(0),f4(0),...}

And this essentially corresponds the "height" of the tower you described being equal to ω. If we then denote g as the function enumerating fixed points of f, then we can also write something like:
g(ΩΩ0)=g(f2(0))
it essentially corresponds to the term in quote above. Only sort of ... I think(?) because N0 is equal to ω and N1 is equal to Ω?. In that case we can just write: g(Ωω).

Last edited:

What is the "Just below first inaccessible cardinal"?

The "Just below first inaccessible cardinal" is a mathematical concept that refers to the largest cardinal number that is smaller than the first inaccessible cardinal. It is denoted by the symbol κ.

What is an inaccessible cardinal?

An inaccessible cardinal is a cardinal number that cannot be reached by the standard operations of set theory, such as union, power set, and replacement. It is a fundamental concept in mathematical logic and set theory.

Why is the "Just below first inaccessible cardinal" important?

The "Just below first inaccessible cardinal" is important because it is the upper bound for the consistency of certain large cardinal axioms. It also plays a crucial role in the study of large cardinal properties and their implications in set theory.

How is the "Just below first inaccessible cardinal" related to other cardinal numbers?

The "Just below first inaccessible cardinal" is the smallest of the large cardinal numbers. It is larger than the first strongly inaccessible cardinal, but smaller than the first measurable and the first weakly compact cardinal. It is also the first cardinal number that is not a fixed point of the aleph function.

Can the "Just below first inaccessible cardinal" be explicitly defined?

No, the "Just below first inaccessible cardinal" cannot be explicitly defined in the standard language of set theory. It can only be described indirectly by its properties and relationships to other cardinal numbers. Its existence is postulated by the axioms of set theory.