Ken's Constellation Query: Viewing Same Constellation in AUS & SA

• B
  • Thread starter Ken Osbourne
  • Start date
In summary: It is a great way to see the night sky with your own two eyes.Yes, Stellarium is a great software for viewing the night sky.
Ken Osbourne
TL;DR Summary
new starter question.......same local time, elevation and latitude in southern hemisphere
I live in Sydney AUS and look into the night sky most evenings...my question is - I will be travelling between AUS and Cape Town in South Africa from time to time. If I view a particular constellation directly south of me at say 9pm local Sydney time, and then when in Cape Town SA (pretty much the same latitude), a day or two later, view directly south of my position, at the same elevation at 9pm local time, should I be able to see the same constellation as I did in Sydney with all the same parameters at the same local time. Would my thinking be the same for all positions around the southern hemisphere (same latitude) at the same elevation and local time ?.

Hoping someone can help,
Cheers
Ken Osbourne

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Ken Osbourne said:
Would my thinking be the same for all positions around the southern hemisphere (same latitude) at the same elevation and local time ?
Yes.

Thanks for the quick reply,
What got me thinking, was the local times and how constellations correlated with being in those same positions, or was I just over thinking it ??

Ken Osbourne said:
or was I just over thinking it ?
You cannot overthink astronomy or celestial navigation.

The Earth orbits the Sun once each year, so the Sun appears to move through the constellations in the background, (astrology). The Earth rotates once each sidereal day. So there are two important parameters, the day of the year and the local time.

When you use a planisphere, you line up the date with the local time to show the position of the constellations on that date, at that local time. The planets wander along, near the ecliptic, which is shown on the planisphere.
Find yourself a planisphere for the latitude of Sydney.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planisphere

The quick reply came from 1000 km south of you.

Likes PeroK
thank you so much for the info, you've been very helpful.

1000kms sth ......must be around Hobart somewhere ?

Ken Osbourne said:
thank you so much for the info, you've been very helpful.

1000kms sth ......must be around Hobart somewhere ?

hi Ken
welcome to PF

Greetings from another Sydney dweller :smile:
(inner west) West Ryde

Dave

Do you have the excellent software Stellarium?

Likes vanhees71

1. What is Ken's Constellation Query?

Ken's Constellation Query is a scientific tool that allows users to view the same constellation from different locations in Australia and South America. It uses data from satellites and telescopes to provide accurate and real-time images of the night sky.

2. How does Ken's Constellation Query work?

Ken's Constellation Query uses advanced technology and algorithms to map the night sky and identify the position of different constellations. It then uses this information to generate images of the same constellation from different locations in Australia and South America.

3. What is the purpose of Ken's Constellation Query?

The purpose of Ken's Constellation Query is to allow scientists and researchers to study the night sky from different locations and gain a better understanding of the universe. It also allows the general public to view and appreciate the beauty of the night sky from different perspectives.

4. Is Ken's Constellation Query accurate?

Yes, Ken's Constellation Query is highly accurate. It uses data from reliable sources and advanced technology to provide real-time images of the night sky. However, it is important to note that weather conditions and other factors may affect the accuracy of the images.

5. Can anyone use Ken's Constellation Query?

Yes, Ken's Constellation Query is available for anyone to use. It is a user-friendly tool that does not require any special skills or knowledge. However, it is primarily designed for scientific and educational purposes.