Keplers Law of Planetary Motion?

In summary: Kepler's law of planetary motion is based on the inverse square law of gravity. To derive Kepler's law, Newton used the principle of least action to calculate the paths of planets around the sun. The principle of least action states that the path of a particle or system that obeys the laws of physics will be the path that minimizes the total energy of the system.
fzshinobi
Can someone briefly explain to me how Kepler's law of planetary motion uses differential calculus?
I'm searching for a topic for a 7 page report on a mathematical concept that uses differential calculus. I thought about Kepler's law on planetary motion, but I have a very vague understanding on the concept of his laws. So, if someone could briefly fill me in on how the two are related, that will really help me get started (and confirm it as my topic).

Any help is appreciated.

If you have any other ideas for a research topic for me, please feel free to list them here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Keplers Law of Planetary Motion using Differential Calculus?

Can someone briefly explain to me how Kepler's law of planetary motion uses differential calculus?
I'm searching for a topic for a 7 page report on a mathematical concept that uses differential calculus. I though about Keplers law on planetary motion, but I have a very vague understanding on the concept of his laws. So, if someone could breifly fill me in on how the two are related, that will really help me get started (and confirm it as my topic).

Any help is appreciated.

If you have any other ideas for a research topic for me, please feel free to list them here.

I guess you could say Kepler's laws use differential calculus in that they can be derived from Newton's laws with the aid of some calculus. The laws themselves, nor their applications, really involve differential calculus, but certain derivations do (not the original ones, however. I think Newton proved things using geometry, even though he had some rudimentary differential calculus).

Refer to the link for a some derivations, although there are many others.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler...s_of_motion_and_Newton.27s_law_of_gravitation

Strictly speaking, Kepler's law do NOT use Calculus because Kepler died before Calculus was invented. It IS true that Newton used Calculus to show that an inverse square law of gravitation will give planetary orbits obeying Kepler's laws.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler's_laws_of_planetary_motion

Two threads merged into one.

As others have mentioned, Kepler did NOT use differential calculus to derive his laws. He made observations from the years of data taken by his teacher and mentor, Tycho Brahe.

If you are looking for some ideas from basic physics using differential calculus, you might try:
Simple Harmonic Motion: a = -ω2 x, where 'a' is the acceleration and ω2 is a constant.

Impulse-Momentum Theorem: Can be used in the kinetic theory of ideal gases to relate the pressure in a container to the temperature and r.m.s. speed.

Conservation of Momentum/Conservation of Angular Momentum: Lots of great examples here, but starting from the Impulse-Momentum Theorem, if ΔF is zero (no external forces), then momentum must be conserved.

Gradient: For anything that can be expressed as a potential (such as gravitational potential energy or electric potential), the gradient can be used to determine the field.

keplers law is about the law realate to planet motio
this about the
[tex]\prod[/tex]

1. What is Kepler's Law of Planetary Motion?

Kepler's Law of Planetary Motion is a set of three laws that describe the motion of planets around the sun. These laws were developed by the German astronomer Johannes Kepler in the early 17th century.

2. What is Kepler's First Law?

Kepler's First Law, also known as the Law of Ellipses, states that the orbit of each planet around the sun is an ellipse with the sun at one of the two foci. This means that the distance between a planet and the sun varies throughout its orbit.

3. What is Kepler's Second Law?

Kepler's Second Law, also known as the Law of Equal Areas, states that a line joining a planet and the sun sweeps out equal areas in equal times. This means that a planet travels faster when it is closer to the sun and slower when it is farther away.

4. What is Kepler's Third Law?

Kepler's Third Law, also known as the Law of Harmonies, states that the square of the orbital period of a planet is directly proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of its orbit. In simpler terms, this means that the farther a planet is from the sun, the longer it takes to complete one orbit.

5. How did Kepler's Laws revolutionize our understanding of the solar system?

Kepler's Laws provided a mathematical explanation for the observed motions of planets, which was a major advancement in the field of astronomy. These laws also helped to disprove the widely accepted belief at the time that planets moved in perfect circles around the sun. It laid the foundation for future discoveries and the development of Isaac Newton's theory of gravity.