Key factors for Obama and McCain to win in 2008
- Topic: News
- Thread starter Evo
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1,241 replies · 144K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,714
- 7,805
All you need now is a rotating spiral.I.S. said:You will vote for Obama
You will vote for Obama
You will vote for Obama
You will vote for Obama
You will vote for Obama
I think the stock markets will rally/surge if Obama wins. If McCain were to win, which is unlikely, the stock markets would probably crash again.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
I am trying to get Mesmer and his glass harmonica.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,714
- 7,805
I have a friend who has been staunch republican. He would have preferred McCain to Bush 8 years ago. He's not sure about McCain now, and he really worries about Palin. He could vote for Obama.Ivan Seeking said:Yes! CNN tracked a Republican woman in Ohio who was undecided. After five days, and when she was out of time [she had to leave town] she finally broke for Obama.
My hope is that this will be typical of many Republicans: They are undecided because they want to vote Republican, but they don't want to vote for McCain and Palin. I have been in a similar situation in the past, and I broke just as she did. It is a struggle between emotions, and intellect, and the intellect wins; hopefully!
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
The national polls seem to be stabilizing a bit. With Obama ahead by eight, the gallup traditional poll is only one point less than the gallup extended poll. Until now they have differed by at least several points; sometimes more. And the variation between the latest polls is only eight points - ranging from 3 to 11 points in Obama's favor.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_election_mccain_vs_obama-225.html
RCP doesn't show any national poll giving McCain the lead since Sept 26th.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_election_mccain_vs_obama-225.html
RCP doesn't show any national poll giving McCain the lead since Sept 26th.
Last edited:
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
I think anyone thinking of voting for McCain should stop and ask themselves if they would vote for Palin for President. If the answer is no...
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
I was just reading about people that are still undecided and I can't imagine how this close to the election someone could be undecided.
It's not like the two candidates are so similar that it's hard to choose.
If you know anything about what is going on and have been following and learning about the candidates, how can you be undecided? Seriously.
Is there someone undecided on here that could explain why?
It's not like the two candidates are so similar that it's hard to choose.
If you know anything about what is going on and have been following and learning about the candidates, how can you be undecided? Seriously.
Is there someone undecided on here that could explain why?
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
There are 81 days left in the Bush administration.
Bush has not been asked to attend one campaign rally for any Republican candidate.
Bush has not been asked to attend one campaign rally for any Republican candidate.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Isn't that a little unusual?Ivan Seeking said:There are 81 days left in the Bush administration.
Bush has not been asked to attend one campaign rally for any Republican candidate.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,714
- 7,805
Not for an unpopular president.Evo said:Isn't that a little unusual?
If the war in Iraq had wrapped up a couple of years ago and cost $1 trillion less, and the Dow was at 15,000 or 16,000 instead of ~9325, and we didn't have a financial crisis with big bank bailouts, and mortgage defaults, foreclosures and bankruptcies weren't at record levels, and unemployment was below 5%, then Bush might be campaigning with McCain and other republicans.
Homework Helper
- 3,127
- 6
Evo said:I was just reading about people that are still undecided and I can't imagine how this close to the election someone could be undecided.
It's not like the two candidates are so similar that it's hard to choose.
If you know anything about what is going on and have been following and learning about the candidates, how can you be undecided? Seriously.
Is there someone undecided on here that could explain why?
I'm still undecided.
Though mainly, my indecision is about whether I go at 6:30 AM or a more leisurely time slot at one of the Dr. Pepper times of 10 - 2 - 4 , but definitely decided not to vote past 5:00PM
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
That's worthy of a fish whack.LowlyPion said:I'm still undecided.
Though mainly, my indecision is about whether I go at 6:30 AM or a more leisurely time slot at one of the Dr. Pepper times of 10 - 2 - 4 , but definitely decided not to vote past 5:00PM
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
What, you haven't been formally initiated?LowlyPion said:I'm not sure what that is, but it I have an uneasy feeling that it wouldn't be pleasant for me and it sounds like the fish won't enjoy it at all.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
LowlyPion said:Here's McCain policing the cat box and Old Larry having to eat what he threw up and act like he enjoyed it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZzOpFgykxc
Homework Helper
- 3,127
- 6
lisab said:Oh, LP -- really, seriously -- as a kindred soul, I have to ask...what's your favorite fish?
Grey Sole, salmon (that will be purchased and broiled tomorrow in fact, as I saw some in the market today), red snapper or sea bass when I can get it. Various mollusks and crustaceans. It's hard to say a favorite really.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,050
- 614
LowlyPion said:Grey Sole, salmon (that will be purchased and broiled tomorrow in fact, as I saw some in the market today), red snapper or sea bass when I can get it. Various mollusks and crustaceans. It's hard to say a favorite really.
OK, wild Coho salmon it is (I do live in Washington State, after all!)...
THWAP! THWAP!
Congrats, LP!
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Good job Lisab!
LP, red snapper? It's my favorite, but it's overfished and you are NOT supposed to eat it!
BAD!
LP, red snapper? It's my favorite, but it's overfished and you are NOT supposed to eat it!
BAD!
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,663
- 37
LowlyPion said:I'm still undecided.
Though mainly, my indecision is about whether I go at 6:30 AM or a more leisurely time slot at one of the Dr. Pepper times of 10 - 2 - 4 , but definitely decided not to vote past 5:00PM
I went with the "Vote by Mail" option this year. In California, you don't even have to give them a reason, they just mail you a ballot.
Homework Helper
- 3,127
- 6
Math Is Hard said:I went with the "Vote by Mail" option this year. In California, you don't even have to give them a reason, they just mail you a ballot.
Actually my precinct has 2300 voting individuals and it's paper ballots and they have maybe 12 cubettes for filling in the ballots. Figure the 12 hour voting day that's 200 an hour average. They have the alphabet split into 3 or 4 look-ups and each look-up takes maybe 20 seconds tops. So that means they have a run rate of maybe 10+/minute at their bottleneck through the precinct. Theoretically then I think they can do all voters in less than 4 hours, so my expectation is that any of the Dr. Pepper times will be smooth runnings and not that long a wait as I see in the early voting lines elsewhere.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,663
- 37
What are the "Dr. Pepper times"? (sorry if I missed the explanation in an earlier post).
A problem that I have found with voting in Los Angeles is parking. One time I circled a neighborhood for 20 minutes looking for parking anywhere near the polling place and finally gave up. It could be that I went during a popular time, but parking here always sucks.
A problem that I have found with voting in Los Angeles is parking. One time I circled a neighborhood for 20 minutes looking for parking anywhere near the polling place and finally gave up. It could be that I went during a popular time, but parking here always sucks.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Math Is Hard said:What are the "Dr. Pepper times"? (sorry if I missed the explanation in an earlier post).
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/04/Dr_Pepper_types.jpg/800px-
Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
I got a real charge out of a comment made by, I think, Judy Woodruff, on PBS, while she was talking with another newsperson [I was a bit preoccupied making dinner]. "What will we talk about when this race is over?", she asked. The other person had to think for a moment, and then blurted out, "the economy!". Oh yes, the economy...that's right.
This election has been the wildest ride that I have had in a long time. It is so sad that Russert didn't live to see all of this, but at least he knew it was coming.
This election has been the wildest ride that I have had in a long time. It is so sad that Russert didn't live to see all of this, but at least he knew it was coming.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 65
- G01
- · Replies 15 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 15