Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Keyed serpentine pulley with a 5/8 bore to mount on a motor

1. Oct 19, 2014 #1
    It needs to be 3.0in to 4in OD, the belt which it will drive will have 6 grooves. It will be mounted on a motor shaft and there also has to be a way to tighten it with a screw securely. I am having a really hard time finding one, which is understandable since they are commonly used on automobiles, rather than motors.

I found a 2.2in OD pulley on ebay which VERY closely matches what I am looking for but.... It's too small and the rpm on my secondary pulley will not be fast enough
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Craftsman-R...-Pulley-5-8-Bore-Aluminum-Alloy-/201021166566

My secondary pulley is actually a small bicycle wheel (16in) I found in a back alley. I know it's not proper, but I am trying to save money, a pulley of the same size is quite expensive. The whole goal to reduce the motor rpm to about 300-400RPM from 1725rpm. I am trying to avoid using lots of pulleys to obtain this rpm.

Could someone help me?

Thank you

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2014 #2
    Make sure you check your center distances. The wrap angle on a 3 inch sheave will be potentially too small between it and a 16 inch wheel.

4. May 28, 2015 #3
    Did you ever find this? I need the same thing for a hydro pump!

5. May 28, 2015 #4
    I purchase an ordinary serpentine pulley with that diameter. Got a metal block smaller than the pulley, drilled a hole dead center of it with same diameter of motor shaft. I then proceeded to trill a small hole at the side for a bolt to be inserted and tightened. Finally I welded it onto the pulley after sticking both it and the pulley on motor shaft so they were perfectly aligned.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook