Keyed serpentine pulley with a 5/8 bore to mount on a motor

  • Thread starter Thread starter Blake Kopachena
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Motor Pulley
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Blake Kopachena
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
It needs to be 3.0in to 4in OD, the belt which it will drive will have 6 grooves. It will be mounted on a motor shaft and there also has to be a way to tighten it with a screw securely. I am having a really hard time finding one, which is understandable since they are commonly used on automobiles, rather than motors.

I found a 2.2in OD pulley on ebay which VERY closely matches what I am looking for but... It's too small and the rpm on my secondary pulley will not be fast enough
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Craftsman-Ridgid-2-2-Inch-Diameter-Serpentine-Pulley-5-8-Bore-Aluminum-Alloy-/201021166566

My secondary pulley is actually a small bicycle wheel (16in) I found in a back alley. I know it's not proper, but I am trying to save money, a pulley of the same size is quite expensive. The whole goal to reduce the motor rpm to about 300-400RPM from 1725rpm. I am trying to avoid using lots of pulleys to obtain this rpm.

Could someone help me?

Thank you
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Make sure you check your center distances. The wrap angle on a 3 inch sheave will be potentially too small between it and a 16 inch wheel.
 
Did you ever find this? I need the same thing for a hydro pump!
 
I purchase an ordinary serpentine pulley with that diameter. Got a metal block smaller than the pulley, drilled a hole dead center of it with same diameter of motor shaft. I then proceeded to trill a small hole at the side for a bolt to be inserted and tightened. Finally I welded it onto the pulley after sticking both it and the pulley on motor shaft so they were perfectly aligned.