Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Keyed serpentine pulley with a 5/8 bore to mount on a motor

1. Oct 19, 2014 #1
    It needs to be 3.0in to 4in OD, the belt which it will drive will have 6 grooves. It will be mounted on a motor shaft and there also has to be a way to tighten it with a screw securely. I am having a really hard time finding one, which is understandable since they are commonly used on automobiles, rather than motors.

I found a 2.2in OD pulley on ebay which VERY closely matches what I am looking for but.... It's too small and the rpm on my secondary pulley will not be fast enough
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Craftsman-R...-Pulley-5-8-Bore-Aluminum-Alloy-/201021166566

My secondary pulley is actually a small bicycle wheel (16in) I found in a back alley. I know it's not proper, but I am trying to save money, a pulley of the same size is quite expensive. The whole goal to reduce the motor rpm to about 300-400RPM from 1725rpm. I am trying to avoid using lots of pulleys to obtain this rpm.

Could someone help me?

Thank you

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2014 #2
    Make sure you check your center distances. The wrap angle on a 3 inch sheave will be potentially too small between it and a 16 inch wheel.

4. May 28, 2015 #3
    Did you ever find this? I need the same thing for a hydro pump!

5. May 28, 2015 #4
    I purchase an ordinary serpentine pulley with that diameter. Got a metal block smaller than the pulley, drilled a hole dead center of it with same diameter of motor shaft. I then proceeded to trill a small hole at the side for a bolt to be inserted and tightened. Finally I welded it onto the pulley after sticking both it and the pulley on motor shaft so they were perfectly aligned.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook