Kinematics free fall problems part 3 help

In summary, the ball reaches a height of 5.148 meters and the initial speed is 10.04 meters per second.
P944

Homework Statement

To find the height of an overhead power line, you throw a ball straight upward. The ball passes the line on the way up after 0.85 s, and passes it again on the way down 1.2 s after it was tossed.

(a) What is the height of the power line?

(b) What is the initial speed of the ball?

Homework Equations

v = v0 + at
x=x0+v0*t + 1/2*a*t^2
x = x0 +v*t - 1/2*a*t^2
v^2 = v0^2 +2*a*(x-x0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a picture and decided to solve for intial speed first. I used the equation v = v0 + a* t . V=0, a = -9.8m/s^2 and i took time at v0 to be 1.25 + 0.85/2 = 1.05 s
V0 = 10.29m/s

I then solved part a by using V^2 = V0^2 + 2 *a*(x-x0)
0=(10.29)^2 +2(9.8)(x-0)
i solved this and ended up with 5.40m

I got both of these wrong on my practice test. I would greatly appreciate if someone could explain to me what i did wrong. Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
If the time in the problem reads 1.2 s, why does the time in your answer read 1.25 s?

Char. Limit said:
If the time in the problem reads 1.2 s, why does the time in your answer read 1.25 s?

oh you are correct! I'm dyslexic! :( I resolved the problem and got 10.04m/s for my initial speed which is correct. However, my distance of 5.148m is still wrong. Any ideas?

In your equation you set v equal to 0. This only happens at one point which is when the ball reaches its maximum height. Nowhere is it stated that the power line is at the top of the ball's trajectory. In fact it is clearly stated that the ball passes the power line twice, which can only happen if the power line is below the ball's maximum height.

Cyosis said:
In your equation you set v equal to 0. This only happens at one point which is when the ball reaches its maximum height. Nowhere is it stated that the power line is at the top of the ball's trajectory. In fact it is clearly stated that the ball passes the power line twice, which can only happen if the power line is below the ball's maximum height.

you are correct, now that i got my initial velocity of 10.04m/s, g = -9.80m/s^2, x0= 0 and time crossing power line =0.85 i used x = x0 + V0 * t + 1/2*g*t^2
x = 0 + (10.04m/s)(0.85s ) + 1/2 (-9.8m/s^2)(0.85)^2 = 4.994 m How does that look?

What is kinematics free fall?

Kinematics free fall is the study of the motion of an object as it falls freely under the influence of gravity, without any other forces acting upon it.

What are the key concepts in kinematics free fall problems?

The key concepts in kinematics free fall problems are displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. These variables are used to describe the motion of the falling object.

How do you solve kinematics free fall problems?

To solve kinematics free fall problems, you can use the equations of motion for constant acceleration, such as d = v0t + 1/2at2 and v = v0 + at. You will also need to identify the known and unknown variables and use appropriate units.

What is the difference between free fall and projectile motion?

In free fall, the object is only influenced by gravity and falls straight down. In projectile motion, the object is also influenced by a horizontal component of motion, resulting in a curved path.

Can air resistance affect the motion of a falling object?

Yes, air resistance can affect the motion of a falling object. As the object falls, it may encounter air resistance, which can slow down its downward acceleration. However, for most kinematics free fall problems, air resistance is ignored and the object is assumed to be falling in a vacuum.