Kinematics problem-finding total distance

• Thread starter Violagirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the particle has an initial velocity of 5 m/s and changes direction in 1 second to move at 5 m/s in the opposite direction. With constant acceleration, it travels a distance of 0 meters. This may indicate that the problem was looking for total distance traveled rather than displacement.
Violagirl

Homework Statement

A particle moving at 5 m/s reverses its direction in 1 s to move at 5 m/s in the opposite direction. If its acceleration is constant, what distance does it travel?

A) 1.25 m

B) 2.5 m

C) 5 m

D) 10 m

Homework Equations

d = 1/2 (v0 + v)t

The Attempt at a Solution

Since we need to find d:
d = 1/2 (5 + (-5+)(1)

d = 0

This clearly was off...I was going to see if someone would be able to help me understand this problem better.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right. May be they want the total distance traveled instead of the displacement that you correctly calculated.

dauto said:
May be they want the total distance traveled instead of the displacement that you correctly calculated.
Yes, distance is a scalar, so generally it means ##\int|\vec v|.dt##. Displacement is a vector, ##\int\vec v.dt##

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the study of motion, including the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. How do I find the total distance in a kinematics problem?

To find the total distance in a kinematics problem, you need to add up the distances traveled during each segment of motion. This can be done by using the formula d = vt, where d is distance, v is velocity, and t is time.

3. What information do I need to solve a kinematics problem?

To solve a kinematics problem, you need to know the initial position, velocity, and acceleration of the object, as well as the time interval of the motion.

4. What is the difference between distance and displacement in kinematics?

Distance is the total length traveled by an object, while displacement is the straight-line distance from the initial to the final position. Distance is a scalar quantity, while displacement is a vector quantity.

5. How do I handle negative values in a kinematics problem?

In kinematics, negative values indicate motion in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. It is important to pay attention to the signs and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem. You may need to adjust your calculations accordingly.