Kinematics - Velocity, force of gravity, terminal speed

In summary, a paratrooper jumping out of an aircraft experiences forces that change their initial horizontal velocity. These forces include drag force and the force of gravity. It has been claimed that for any specified launching speed, the paratrooper's speed will pass through a minimum value that is less than the launching speed or terminal speed. This claim can be investigated in several ways, such as by finding the condition for minimum speed, disproving it with a specific launch speed, or considering large time intervals and making approximations to solve the differential equations. However, these methods may be too advanced for a Grade 12 student.
Sonia22
Hi everyone,
I would really appreciate any advice on how to go about solving the following problem. I'm supposed to investigate it in a report.

Homework Statement

A paratrooper who jumps out of an aircraft moving in horizontal flight initially has the same horizontal velocity as the aircraft. However, immediately, forces begin to change this. The drag force begins to slow him down, but at the same time the force of gravity tends to speed him up. It has been claimed that for any specified launching speed, the speed of the paratrooper will pass through a minimum value less than either the launching speed or the terminal speed. Obviously, if he is high enough, the paratrooper should wait for the minimum speed to lessen the shock when the parachute opens. Investigate this claim.

Homework Equations

d=Vi(t) + 1/2a(t^2), v_term = (mg/k)^(1/3)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not completely sure how to approach this question, but I started by looking at the equations for kinematics and terminal velocity. btw I'm in Grade 12, if that helps.

Physics news on Phys.org
You quote the expression for terminal velocity. I assume you know from that the equation for the drag force.
Can you write out (and post) the differential equations? (Since you don't care about position, it's just a pair of first order equations.) Pretty sure there's no closed form of solution, though.
Several possible approaches:
- Write the condition for a minimum speed. Maybe can show it is less than terminal speed.
- It does say "any specified launching speed", so the claim could be disproved by finding some launch speed for which it doesn't work.
- Consider large t, so the horizontal speed is small and the difference between vertical speed and terminal speed is small. Making some approximations based on that, solve the differential equations and show that the speed is increasing. However, that would only establish the claim for the case where the launch speed is at least equal to the terminal speed.

On the other hand, all of these seem a bit advanced for grade 12, so maybe I'm missing something simpler.

1. What is velocity in kinematics?

Velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's position over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction. In kinematics, velocity is typically represented by the symbol "v".

2. How is the force of gravity related to kinematics?

The force of gravity, represented by the symbol "Fg", is a fundamental force that affects the motion of all objects on Earth. In kinematics, it is often used to calculate an object's acceleration, which in turn can be used to determine its velocity and position over time.

3. What is terminal speed in kinematics?

Terminal speed, also known as terminal velocity, is the maximum speed at which an object falls through a medium, such as air or water. It occurs when the force of gravity is equal to the force of air resistance, resulting in a constant velocity.

4. How is kinematics used in real life?

Kinematics is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as designing roller coasters, analyzing the motion of vehicles, and predicting the trajectory of projectiles. It is also used in sports science to study the movements of athletes and in robotics to program the movements of robots.

5. What are the basic equations of kinematics?

The three basic equations of kinematics are:
- v = u + at (velocity equals initial velocity plus acceleration multiplied by time)
- s = ut + 1/2at^2 (displacement equals initial velocity multiplied by time plus one half of acceleration multiplied by time squared)
- v^2 = u^2 + 2as (velocity squared equals initial velocity squared plus two times acceleration multiplied by displacement)