King Tut "Irreversibly Damaged" by Botched Repair

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
In summary, the most famous archaeological relic in the world, King Tut's burial mask, has been damaged during a botched cleaning attempt. The blue and gold braided beard was knocked off and hastily glued back on with an inappropriate adhesive, causing further damage. The incident was revealed by conservators at the Egyptian Museum in Cairo, who were ordered to fix it quickly using epoxy. Conflicting accounts from curators and fear of professional reprisals only add to the chaotic mess.
zoobyshoe
The most famous archaeological relic in the world has been damaged during a botched cleaning attempt. After being knocked off, the blue and gold braided beard on King Tut's burial mask was "hastily" glued back on with an inappropriate adhesive, damaging the item even further.

Brace yourselves, folks. This story is all kinds of messed up. As The Associated Press isreporting, it appears that the beard was quickly glued back on by curators at the Egyptian Museum in Cairo with epoxy, an "irreversible material" that's completely unsuitable for a restoration effort of this importance. Conservators at the museum revealed the incident yesterday.

Frustratingly, the story isn't entirely clear because three of the museum's curators are offering conflicting accounts. It's not known when the incident happened, or whether the iconic beard was accidentally knocked off or removed because it was loose. What we do know, however, is that the curators were "ordered" from above to fix it quickly and that epoxy was used. All three curators refused to give their names for fear of professional reprisals...

http://io9.com/king-tuts-burial-mask-has-been-irreversibly-damaged-1681085211

Likes Lizabella
Physics news on Phys.org
So long as everyone calms down and documents what did and did not happen, the provenance has NOT been affected. Lie, fib, and cover up, and posterity will have many rude things to say.

Nowhere else on the internet could offer so many insights and mindful reports like does PF. I'm lovin' it! Please keep us informed. :D (I'm so excited now). Thank you PF's top-notch, excellent scientists!

Last edited:
I actually saw the original King Tut exhibit in the 70's when I was a kid, in Los Angeles. It was really cool. These beautifully crafted sculptures many of which were made out of solid gold. I do remember that. Also, these kind of hybrid human-animal forms. Pretty trippy for a ten year old.

DiracPool said:
I actually saw the original King Tut exhibit in the 70's when I was a kid, in Los Angeles.
And do you recall me telling you not to play with your yo-yo right there?

Anybody who has ever visited the chaotic mess that is the Cairo Museum will not be in any way surprised.

That's a great idea. Let's use epoxy on a relic that has a lot of cultural meaning across the world to save our butts because if they realize we broke it while cleaning we are done for. We are done for too if they realize we used epoxy, but by then we will be far away. Besides, they wanted to save money. They get what they pay. It's not our fault.

-Internet Secret Technique: Sarcasm!
Internet Secret Technique: Sarcasm! is a very useful technique on the realms of the internet that converts all or some of the text above its invocation into sarcasm.

Last edited:
Likes Lizabella

1. What happened to King Tut's tomb during the botched repair?

During the botched repair in 2014, a layer of yellow-brown epoxy resin was used to reattach the iconic blue and gold beard on King Tut's burial mask. This caused irreversible damage to the mask, as the resin seeped into the cracks and permanently discolored the beard.

2. Why was the repair necessary in the first place?

The beard on King Tut's burial mask had become detached from the rest of the mask due to poor handling and previous attempts at repair. In order to stabilize and preserve the mask, a repair was deemed necessary.

3. Could the damage have been prevented?

Yes, the damage to King Tut's burial mask could have been prevented if proper conservation techniques had been used. The use of epoxy resin was not recommended for repairing ancient artifacts, as it can cause irreversible damage.

4. What impact does this damage have on the historical significance of the mask?

The mask of King Tut is considered one of the most iconic and well-known artifacts from ancient Egypt. The damage caused by the botched repair has tarnished its overall aesthetic and historical significance. However, the damage does not change the historical value and importance of the mask.

5. What steps are being taken to prevent further damage to King Tut's tomb and artifacts?

After the botched repair, new conservation techniques and protocols have been put in place to prevent further damage to King Tut's tomb and artifacts. This includes using appropriate materials and methods for repairs, and implementing stricter handling and preservation guidelines.

Back