houlahound said:
If you are athletic and young, watch your knee and shoulder health. The amount of people I know with knee and shoulder injuries is truly staggering. The common denominator, all athletes in the day.
I wish I would have bought shares in artificial knee joints.
Anyone had treatments, how did it work out?
My hips, ankles, and elbow have more pain than my knees and shoulders (tennis and Ultimate, mostly).
Under medical guidance, I am transitioning to more biking (50 miles/week), less tennis and Ultimate, and moving toward doubles and clay courts in my tennis time reduced to once per week.
My hips may go at some point, but replacement hips are easier to come by than a new pancreas, heart or liver. (With insufficient exercise, I am high risk for diseases likely to affect those, already diagnosed pre-diabetic - genetic disposition with Hispanic background.)
For most Americans (and others in both first and second world nations), I think the greater health risks are related to sedentary lifestyles and being over weight rather than overuse of joints.
If I can keep my BMI in the healthy range and live an active and long enough life to need a hip replacement, then that's more success than most men in my natural family. I am taking care to reduce the wear and tear on the joints, but high BMI and lack of activity are bigger threats to most Americans (even many who consider themselves athletic).