Kuba's question at Yahoo Answers regarding finding the surface area of a torus

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Messages
13,284
Reaction score
12
Here is the question:

What is the surface area of this torus?


Here are the dimensions:

R=13"
r=4"

I thought of it as just a cylinder with the length being 26(pi) and the diameter being 8. I just keep on getting different answers every time I try to solve this problem. I got 2052.88 in², but I don't think it is correct.

I have posted a link there to this thread so the OP can view my work.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Kuba,

To find the surface area of a torus whose major radius is $R$ and minor radius is $r$ (where $r\le R$), we may revolve the function:

$$f(x)=\sqrt{r^2-(x-R)^2}$$

about the $y$-axis and double the resulting surface of revolution $S$.

Hence, we may state:

$$S=4\pi\int_{R-r}^{R+r}x\sqrt{1+\left[f'(x) \right]^2}\,dx$$

Computing the required derivative, we find:

$$f'(x)=\frac{-(x-R)}{\sqrt{r^2-(x-R)^2}}$$

And so we obtain:

$$S=4\pi\int_{R-r}^{R+r}x\sqrt{1+\left[\frac{x-R}{\sqrt{r^2-(x-R)^2}} \right]^2}\,dx$$

Now, let's employ the substitution:

$$u=x-R\,\therefore\,du=dx$$

and now we may write:

$$S=4\pi\int_{-r}^{r}(u+R)\sqrt{1+\frac{u^2}{r^2-u^2}}\,du$$

Simplifying the radicand, we obtain:

$$S=4\pi r\int_{-r}^{r}\frac{u+R}{\sqrt{r^2-u^2}}\,du=4\pi r\left(\int_{-r}^{r}\frac{u}{\sqrt{r^2-u^2}}\,dx+\int_{-r}^{r}\frac{R}{\sqrt{r^2-u^2}}\,du \right)$$

On the far right the first integrand is odd and the second is even, and so we are left with:

$$S=8\pi rR\int_{0}^{r}\frac{1}{\sqrt{r^2-u^2}}\,du$$

Now, using the substitution:

$$u=r\sin(\theta)\,\therefore\,du=r\cos(\theta)$$

we obtain:

$$S=8\pi rR\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\frac{\cos(\theta)}{ \sqrt{1-\sin^2(\theta)}}\,d\theta= 8\pi rR\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\,d\theta$$

Applying the FTOC, we obtain:

$$S=8\pi rR\left(\frac{\pi}{2}-0 \right)$$

$$S=4\pi^2rR$$

This demonstrates that you can indeed treat the torus as a cylinder with respect to its surface area:

$$S=(2\pi r)(2\pi R)=4\pi^2 rR$$

Similarly, see http://mathhelpboards.com/questions-other-sites-52/roisins-question-yahoo-answers-regarding-volume-torus-7992.html?highlight=torus for the derivation using calculus of the volume of a torus, given as:

$$V=2\pi^2r^2R$$

which we may obtain by treating the torus as a cylinder as follows:

$$V=\pi r^2(2\pi R)=2\pi^2r^2R$$

Now, using the given data:

$$r=4\text{ in}$$

$$R=13\text{ in}$$

we find the surface area of the given torus is:

$$S=4\pi^2(4\text{ in})(13\text{ in})=208\pi^2\text{ in}^2\approx2052.87771543\text{ in}^2$$