Lack of time dilation in type 1a supernova

In summary, David F. Crawford's analysis of raw observations of type Ia supernovae and Gamma-Ray Bursts shows that their widths and durations are proportional to (1+z), indicating no time dilation and implying a static universe. However, this conclusion is flawed due to a misunderstanding of the data and the rest-frame time used in the standard method for calibrating the type Ia supernovae light curves. This lack of time dilation has not been previously observed because it has already been corrected for in the data.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Here is one for every one to pull apart, it goes beyond every thing I have learnt.

arXiv:1804.10274 [pdf, other]
Lack of time dilation in type Ia supernovae and Gamma-Ray Bursts
David F. Crawford
Comments: 4 pages, 2 figures and 1 table
Subjects: High Energy Astrophysical Phenomena (astro-ph.HE)

A fundamental property of any expanding universe is that any time dependent characteristics of distant objects must appear to scale by the factor (1+z). This is called time dilation. Light curves of type Ia supernovae and the duration of Gamma-Ray Bursts (GRB) are the only observations that can directly measure time dilation over a wide range of redshifts. An analysis of raw observations of type Ia supernovae light curves shows that their widths are proportional to (1+z)(0.088±0.036). Analysis of the duration of GRB show that they are proportional to (1+z)(0.25±0.16). Both are consistent with no time dilation and inconsistent with a factor of (1+z) which implies that the universe is static. In addition it is shown that the standard method for calibrating the type Ia supernovae light curves (SALT2) is flawed, which explains why this lack of time dilation has not been previously observed.

Space news on Phys.org
I'm not a cosmologist, but my gut reaction from that abstract is that it is a load of garbage, especially that "this implies the universe is static" line. It seems implausible that people would have missed something like that until now, given that an awful lot of people have studied type Ia supernovae to death. I call BS :).

It seems like this guy has been on a bit of crusade to prove that the universe is static:

http://inspirehep.net/author/profile/D.F.Crawford.1

Doesn't look like he has many friends in that quest though. I also found this paper which makes the opposite conclusion to the OP, with a few famous names attached https://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0504481. Not that science is about authority, but you know, people don't get famous in science by doing shoddy work.

wolram said:
Here is one for every one to pull apart, it goes beyond every thing I have learnt.

arXiv:1804.10274 [pdf, other]
Lack of time dilation in type Ia supernovae and Gamma-Ray Bursts
David F. Crawford
Comments: 4 pages, 2 figures and 1 table
Subjects: High Energy Astrophysical Phenomena (astro-ph.HE)

A fundamental property of any expanding universe is that any time dependent characteristics of distant objects must appear to scale by the factor (1+z). This is called time dilation. Light curves of type Ia supernovae and the duration of Gamma-Ray Bursts (GRB) are the only observations that can directly measure time dilation over a wide range of redshifts. An analysis of raw observations of type Ia supernovae light curves shows that their widths are proportional to (1+z)(0.088±0.036). Analysis of the duration of GRB show that they are proportional to (1+z)(0.25±0.16). Both are consistent with no time dilation and inconsistent with a factor of (1+z) which implies that the universe is static. In addition it is shown that the standard method for calibrating the type Ia supernovae light curves (SALT2) is flawed, which explains why this lack of time dilation has not been previously observed.
I'd have to spend a fair amount of time to determine if this is true or not, but my initial guess is that they used measurements of light curves which already corrected for the time dilation. Naturally you wouldn't expect to see any time dilation after they had already corrected for it.

I haven't yet verified if this is the case, though.

Indeed this is his problem. For the SALT2 method, the light curve fitting is described here:
https://www.aanda.org/articles/aa/full/2007/16/aa6930-06/aa6930-06.html

Note the statement immediately following Eq (1): "where p is the rest-frame time since the date of maximum luminosity in B-band (the phase)".

That statement is all we need to know: the time is rest-frame time. Time dilation is already factored out. So Crawford's result is the result of a supremely basic misunderstanding of the data.

Likes JMz, alantheastronomer, Bandersnatch and 1 other person

1. What is time dilation and how does it relate to type 1a supernovae?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for an observer in a high gravity or high velocity environment. In type 1a supernovae, the explosion of a white dwarf star, the intense gravitational forces can cause time dilation to occur.

2. Why is there a lack of time dilation in type 1a supernovae?

Type 1a supernovae are known for their uniform brightness, meaning they all reach the same peak luminosity regardless of their distance from Earth. This suggests that they all have similar explosion times, which would not be the case if time dilation were occurring.

3. Are there any other explanations for the lack of time dilation in type 1a supernovae?

Some scientists have proposed that the expansion of the universe may counteract the effects of time dilation in type 1a supernovae. However, further research is needed to fully understand the relationship between time dilation and the expansion of the universe.

4. How does the lack of time dilation affect our understanding of the universe?

The lack of time dilation in type 1a supernovae supports the current understanding of the universe's expansion rate, as measured by the Hubble constant. It also helps confirm the use of type 1a supernovae as "standard candles" for measuring distances in the universe.

5. Could time dilation be observed in other types of supernovae?

Yes, time dilation has been observed in other types of supernovae, such as type II supernovae. These supernovae have different characteristics and environments, which can lead to varying levels of time dilation.