Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg

1. May 15, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Say that one real fast three times!

CBS did a report on this tonight. After it was noted that the spelling of the Lake's name had to be corrected on the town's sign, CBS pointed out that the police cars have it spelled out incorrectly on their doors, as well!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Chaubunagungamaug

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2009 #2
    A lake with an authentic monster: its name.

4. May 15, 2009 #3
    I would bet some $ that somewhere in the world, some parents gave their kid this name.

5. May 15, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8d/LlanfairLARGE.jpg/1000px-LlanfairLARGE.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. May 15, 2009 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Shouldn't this threa be in S&D? :tongue:

7. May 15, 2009 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, just consider it traditional native American lawyer lingo.

8. May 16, 2009 #7

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I've driven past this lake dozens of times since it is just off I-395. For people in this area, I'd say "Webster Lake" is tied with "Chaubunagungamaugg" as the preferred name, a choice which seems to split along political lines (unconfirmed).

9. May 16, 2009 #8

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

[/URL]
    I've been there. :biggrin:

Very nice place with very nice people.

10. May 16, 2009 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[/URL]

I've never been there, but my Welsh friend, who did a post-doc with me, had a coffee mug with that name on it...he could even pronounce it! :biggrin:

11. May 17, 2009 #10
    Here a reporter takes a stab at it and gets it right. More interestingly, and unsurprisingly, there were some spelling errors on signs pointing to the lake:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  12. May 17, 2009 #11

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When you think of it, the "spelling" of a Nipmuck word is speculative since the Nipmuck did not have an alphabet. Across New England, the Lakes that end in the "og" sound end in -og, -ogg, -aug, -augg, and if they were written by a Welshman, -mhwallaihghaullgg. The lake is in reality called either "Webster Lake" or "Chaubunagungamaug" and the rest of the name appears to have been deliberately put together to make it "The Longest name." You quite literally have to go to the lake to have people call it that. Choosing to add the extra g's conveniently makes it longer. I can be certain that 200 years ago, no Nipmuck checked over the shoulder of a reporter as he transcribed the name of the lake ("that's two g's, that's right, "au" not o. one g there, and two g's there. yep, you got it").

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  13. May 17, 2009 #12
    I'll agree with that. It's probably incidental if their language can attach modifiers to a base and still be sensical. Try it in English and we can't get away with it:

restlessnessmentationalizationabilismities

14. May 17, 2009 #13

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am curious what a Pawtuxet, Wampanoag or Pequot would call this lake. They (like the Nipmuk) also speak a dialect of Algonquin.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook