Laplace transform of function with independent variables OTHER than time

In summary, the Laplace transform is a mathematical operator that is always applied to time-dependent signals. It is typically used in electrical engineering and control systems engineering.
TooFastTim
Hi all

Conventionally we used to seeing the Laplace transform applied to problems that use time as the independent variable, can anybody point me at some examples that do not use time as the independent variable?

Thanks

Tim

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean. A Laplace transform is a MATHEMATICAL operator. It doesn't matter whether you interpret the variable as time or any other physical quantity.

Yeah, but most (the vast majority) of the literature uses time as the independent variable. I was looking for examples that do not.

P.S. bit of a bugger Googling "laplace transform -time" :)

Yeah, but most (the vast majority) of the literature uses time as the independent variable. I was looking for examples that do not.

Sure grab your examples in which t is the independent variable. Now rename t with any other letter you like, although I recommend against calling it s, which would be confusing. Now you have plenty of examples where the independent variable is not time.

I think the OP is looking at this from an applied standpoint. As used in electrical engineering or control systems engineering, the Laplace Transform is always(?) applied to time-dependent signals.

What real-world (i.e. engineering) problems employ Laplace Transforms where time is not the dependent variable?

Redbelly98 said:
I think the OP is looking at this from an applied standpoint. As used in electrical engineering or control systems engineering, the Laplace Transform is always(?) applied to time-dependent signals.

What real-world (i.e. engineering) problems employ Laplace Transforms where time is not the dependent variable?

Correct, I was thinking of an application analogous to the original application of the Fourier seies which was (I'm open to correction here) heat transfer along a beam, so the independent variable in that case would have been length along the beam. I'm sure somebody has used the Laplace transform for applications other than time dependent ones.

Actually you guys have already been a help. Thanks.

Related to Laplace transform of function with independent variables OTHER than time

What is a Laplace transform of a function?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that transforms a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. It is often used in engineering and physics to analyze systems with time-dependent inputs and outputs.

What is the independent variable in a Laplace transform?

In a Laplace transform, the independent variable is typically time. However, it is possible to perform a Laplace transform on a function with other independent variables, such as space or temperature.

How is a Laplace transform different from a Fourier transform?

A Laplace transform is similar to a Fourier transform, but it also takes into account the decay of a function over time. This makes it more useful for analyzing systems that have transient behavior, such as electrical circuits or mechanical systems.

How is a Laplace transform calculated?

A Laplace transform is calculated by integrating the function multiplied by an exponential function e^(-st), where s is a complex number. The result is a new function in the frequency domain, with s representing the frequency variable.

What are the applications of Laplace transform?

Laplace transforms have many applications in engineering, physics, and mathematics. They are commonly used to solve differential equations, analyze system dynamics, and study the stability of systems. They are also used in signal processing, control theory, and circuit analysis.