Laptop fell off a height of ~0.5m - should I be worried?

In summary, the speaker accidentally dropped their laptop off a sofa armrest but there doesn't seem to be any significant damage. The webcam is also working fine. The other person reassures them that as long as everything is functioning properly, there is no need to worry. They suggest checking the fans and monitoring the temperatures if the speaker is concerned. After two hours, everything seems to be working fine.
Mépris
I know, I'm an absolute idiot for even letting that happen but it did. It fell off the sofa armrest accidentally (why would I want to throw it anyway? also, the armrest is larger than most) and quite surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be any noticeable damage to it. The webcam seems fine too.

Should I be worried about anything? :>

Computer science news on Phys.org
If everything seems to be working fine you should be ok, the most worrying things I could think of would be screen damage and having the read head on the hard disk crash into the platters, but since you can access your operating system, that has not happened.

A less likely thing is to listen to make sure your fans are working, if you are worried about this, you can download and install http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/1.18-setup.exe to monitor your temperatures. I really don't think that your fans suffering any damage is likely though.

Last edited by a moderator:
^

It's been good for the past two hours. I guess it's safe to assume everything's working fine. Pheeew.

Thanks . :)

1. How likely is it that my laptop is damaged from falling off a height of 0.5m?

The likelihood of damage to your laptop depends on various factors such as the type and quality of the laptop, the surface it fell on, and the angle of impact. However, even a small drop of 0.5m can cause significant damage to the internal components of a laptop, so it is best to get it checked by a professional.

2. Can a laptop survive a fall from a height of 0.5m?

It is possible for a laptop to survive a fall from a height of 0.5m, but it largely depends on the factors mentioned above. Some laptops are built to withstand falls and have shock-absorbing features, while others may not be as durable. It is always best to err on the side of caution and get it checked to ensure there is no internal damage.

3. What are the signs of damage from a fall for a laptop?

The signs of damage can vary, but some common ones include cracks or dents on the exterior, malfunctioning components such as the screen or keyboard, unusual noises, and overheating. If you notice any of these signs, it is best to get your laptop checked by a professional.

4. Should I turn on my laptop after it fell to check for damage?

It is not recommended to turn on your laptop immediately after it has fallen. This can cause further damage to the internal components if there is any. It is best to let it sit for a while and get it checked by a professional before attempting to turn it on.

5. How can I prevent my laptop from getting damaged if it falls?

The best way to prevent damage from a fall is to handle your laptop with care and avoid dropping it in the first place. You can also invest in a protective case or sleeve to absorb some of the impact in case of a fall. Additionally, make sure to regularly back up your important files in case of any unforeseen damage to your laptop.