Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laptop fell off a height of ~0.5m - should I be worried?

1. Jan 14, 2012 #1
    I know, I'm an absolute idiot for even letting that happen but it did. It fell off the sofa armrest accidentally (why would I want to throw it anyway? also, the armrest is larger than most) and quite surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be any noticeable damage to it. The webcam seems fine too.

Should I be worried about anything? :>

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2012 #2
    If everything seems to be working fine you should be ok, the most worrying things I could think of would be screen damage and having the read head on the hard disk crash into the platters, but since you can access your operating system, that has not happened.

A less likely thing is to listen to make sure your fans are working, if you are worried about this, you can download and install http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/1.18-setup.exe [Broken] to monitor your temperatures. I really don't think that your fans suffering any damage is likely though.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Jan 14, 2012 #3
    ^

It's been good for the past two hours. I guess it's safe to assume everything's working fine. Pheeew.

Thanks . :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook