Laptop fell off a height of ~0.5m - should I be worried?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mépris
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Height Laptop
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Mépris
Messages
847
Reaction score
11
I know, I'm an absolute idiot for even letting that happen but it did. It fell off the sofa armrest accidentally (why would I want to throw it anyway? also, the armrest is larger than most) and quite surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be any noticeable damage to it. The webcam seems fine too.

Should I be worried about anything? :>
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If everything seems to be working fine you should be ok, the most worrying things I could think of would be screen damage and having the read head on the hard disk crash into the platters, but since you can access your operating system, that has not happened.

A less likely thing is to listen to make sure your fans are working, if you are worried about this, you can download and install http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/1.18-setup.exe to monitor your temperatures. I really don't think that your fans suffering any damage is likely though.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
^

It's been good for the past two hours. I guess it's safe to assume everything's working fine. Pheeew.

Thanks . :)