Lasers/lifetime of metastable states on brightness of beam

In summary, the question is which laser beam will be brighter or more intense, one with a metastable state lifetime of 1μs or one with a lifetime of 100μs. It is difficult to determine without knowing if all other factors, such as the \beta-factor and loss rates, are identical for both lasers.
CAF123
Gold Member
If we consider two laser beams with identical 3 level energy level schemes except that the metastable state for one has a lifetime of 1μs and the other, 100μs. Which will give the brighter (more intense) beam?

I gather that, since all things are identical up to the metastable state, the number of excited atoms in the energy level before the metastable state will be the same for both lasers(Is this correct, or is it a matter of probability?). From this excited state, they will spontaneously decay (stimulated emission unlikely here because of short lived state - please correct me if i am wrong) to the metastable state. Which will then give a brighter beam given the lifetimes above?

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
CAF123 said:
I gather that, since all things are identical up to the metastable state, the number of excited atoms in the energy level before the metastable state will be the same for both lasers(Is this correct, or is it a matter of probability?). From this excited state, they will spontaneously decay (stimulated emission unlikely here because of short lived state - please correct me if i am wrong) to the metastable state. Which will then give a brighter beam given the lifetimes above?

This is a bit hard to say because "all things are identical" is a bit hard to interpret. You are intending to use cw pump, right? One important thing is the [itex]\beta[/itex]-factor of the laser which basically gives the spontaneous emission from the metastable state to the lasing mode of interest divided by all spontaneous decay channels (radiative decay to other modes and non-radiatice decay). Basically, it is an indicator of how large losses are. Now the question is "all things are identical" whether you want these two lasers to have the same [itex]\beta[/itex] factor or the same radiative and non-radiative loss rates. Obviously both cannot be the same at the same time as [itex]\beta[/itex] will depend on the ratio of the timescale of the loss channel decay rates to the decay rate to the cavity mode.

What is a laser?

A laser is a device that produces a focused and coherent beam of light through the process of stimulated emission. This means that a large number of photons are emitted in a specific direction, resulting in a concentrated and powerful beam.

What are metastable states in lasers?

Metastable states in lasers refer to the excited energy states of atoms or molecules that have a longer lifetime than their ground state. These states are important for maintaining the population inversion necessary for laser operation.

What is the lifetime of metastable states in lasers?

The lifetime of metastable states in lasers can vary greatly depending on the specific material used. Some materials have lifetimes in the nanosecond range, while others can have lifetimes in the millisecond or even second range.

How does the lifetime of metastable states affect the brightness of a laser beam?

The longer the lifetime of metastable states, the longer the population inversion can be maintained, resulting in a brighter laser beam. This is because more photons can be emitted before the atoms or molecules return to their ground state, leading to a more intense and focused beam of light.

What factors can influence the lifetime of metastable states in a laser?

The lifetime of metastable states can be influenced by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities in the laser material. Additionally, the design and construction of the laser itself can also impact the lifetime of these states.