Latest z >1 Type1a supernova results?

• Thread starter johne1618
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Supernova
JohnIn summary, John is looking for a paper with the latest magnitude-redshift results for large z supernova and the latest paper available is from last year as a preprint, but was just published this year in Astrophysical Journal. There may be something more recent, but there is currently no link available.
johne1618
Hi,

Could someone point me towards a paper with the latest magnitude-redshift results for large z supernova?

Thanks,

John

Space news on Phys.org
johne1618 said:
Hi,

Could someone point me towards a paper with the latest magnitude-redshift results for large z supernova?

Thanks,

John

The latest I have at the moment is this:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1105.3470

The preprint came out last year, but the article was published just this year in Astrophysical Journal.
There could be something more recent, but I just don't happen to have a link.

marcus said:
The latest I have at the moment is this:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1105.3470

The preprint came out last year, but the article was published just this year in Astrophysical Journal.
There could be something more recent, but I just don't happen to have a link.

Thanks

1. What is a Type 1a supernova?

A Type 1a supernova is a type of supernova explosion that occurs in binary star systems where one star is a white dwarf and the other is a main sequence star. The white dwarf accretes matter from its companion star until it reaches a critical mass, causing a thermonuclear explosion.

2. Why are Type 1a supernovae important in cosmology?

Type 1a supernovae are important in cosmology because they have a consistent peak brightness, allowing them to be used as standard candles to measure cosmic distances. This has led to the discovery of the accelerating expansion of the universe and the existence of dark energy.

3. What is the significance of "z >1" in the latest results?

"z >1" refers to the redshift of the supernova, which is a measure of how much the light from the supernova has been stretched by the expansion of the universe. A higher redshift indicates a farther distance, so the latest results show that the Type 1a supernova occurred in a very distant galaxy.

4. How do scientists determine the age of the Type 1a supernova?

Scientists determine the age of a Type 1a supernova by studying its light curve, which is the graph of its brightness over time. The shape and duration of the light curve can reveal the intrinsic brightness of the supernova, which can then be used to calculate its age.

5. What can the latest Type 1a supernova results tell us about the early universe?

The latest Type 1a supernova results can tell us about the early universe by providing information about the expansion rate of the universe at that time. This can help refine our understanding of the evolution of the universe and the role of dark energy in its expansion.