LaTeX WYSIWYG editor inserts extra TEX tags around symbols

  • Topic: LaTeX 
  • Thread starter Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bug Latex
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
QuarkCharmer
Messages
1,049
Reaction score
3
I'm not sure if this is a bug, or I am just an idiot and using this thing wrong, but when you click something in the LaTeX drop-down thing that appears to the right, for instance, a greek letter or something, the thing automatically inputs it where the cursor is, but includes a free set of itex tags with it!

I'm not particularly adept with LaTeX, to begin with, but I know how to write every type of symbol I could need for my particular math level. However, when I need some uncommon greek letter or something, I go to the drop-down, and click the thing I need, and BAM. It plops down what I was looking for with surrounding TEX tags right in the middle of my equation that already has TEX tags.

Am I an idiot, this this my browser doing this, or is this unintended?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand the situation correctly it adds itex tags each time you are not inside an inline LaTeX surrounded by the itex tags. At least that's what I see happening here (Opera/XP).
 
Even if my cursor is within a set of itex tags where I want to place some symbol, the editor adds itex tags within the itex tags I already have.
 
QuarkCharmer said:
Even if my cursor is within a set of itex tags where I want to place some symbol, the editor adds itex tags within the itex tags I already have.

May I ask you what browser you are using?? I don't experience your problem with firefox.