Laurent series for 1/(z²+1) with convergence region

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
krindik
Messages
63
Reaction score
1
Hi,
can u pls help me on this?

Homework Statement


Find Laurent series that converges for

[tex] \, 0 < |z - z_0| < R } [/tex] and determine precise region of convergance

[tex] \, \frac {1}{z^2 + 1} \,\,<br /> [/tex]

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I tried to spilt this into fractions
i.e
[tex] f(x) \, = \, \frac{A}{z-i} + \, \frac{B}{z+i} <br /> [/tex]

as I would have done for

[tex] \frac {1}{z^2 - 1} \,\,<br /> [/tex]

But in that case I would expand it with a geometrical series.
The problem rises with [tex]i[/tex] instead of [tex]1[/tex]



2. Homework Statement
Can u pls explain how can I choose the method of expansion (Laurent, Taylor) given a function f(x) ?






Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
can't you just say [itex]w=z^2[/itex] then you can make

[itex]\frac{1}{w-1}=\frac{1}{w} \frac{1}{1-\frac{1}{w}}[/itex] and expand as a geometric series...
 
Thanks.

In fact the question is
[tex] <br /> \, \frac {1}{z^2 + 1} \,\,<br /> [/tex]

not

[tex] <br /> \, \frac {1}{z^2 - 1} \,\,<br /> [/tex]

I'll restate the question

Find Laurent series that converges for

[tex] <br /> \, 0 < |z - z_0| < R } [/tex]

and determine precise region of convergance for
[tex] <br /> \, \frac {1}{z^2 + 1} \,\,<br /> [/tex]

where
[tex] z_0 = i[/tex]
Additionally, I would like to know how u use [tex] <br /> \, 0 < |z - z_0| < R } [/tex]
in coming up with a solution
 
Last edited:
The Laurent series will be an expansion in powers of (z-i). Use your partial fractions form. The A/(z-i) is the (-1) power. Write the B/(z+i) part as B/(2i+(z-i)) and do the geometric series expansion with (z-i) as the variable.
 
You can. Isn't that basically what I did when I wrote z+i=(z-i)+2i?
 
Thank you,

I have few questions
1. Is it that you choose [itex](z - i)[/itex] terms because the question specifies it should converge in [itex]0 < |z-i| < R[/itex] ?

2. So [itex]\frac{B}{z + i}[/itex] will be expanded like

[itex]\frac{1}{2i} * \frac{1}{1+\frac{z-i}{2i}} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{s^n}[/itex]

where
[itex]s = \frac{z-i}{2i}[/itex]


so the answer to the solution would be
[itex]\frac{A}{z-i} + \{expansion\, in\, 2\}[/itex] ?

Thanks again
 
I chose (z-i) because you specified that you want to expand around z0=i in post 3. I couldn't tell where you wanted to put the expansion from the first post. And yes, you've got the expansion right.
 
Thank you very much Dick

I shall summarize here, so that anybody else following this thread can get the point.


[itex] \frac{1}{1+z^2} = \frac{A}{z-i} + \frac{B}{z+i}[/itex]

expand
[itex] \frac{B}{z+i} = \frac{B}{2i} * \frac{1}{1-(-1 * \frac{z-i}{2i})}[/itex]

then by expanding in geometric series
[itex] \frac{1}{1-(-1 * \frac{z-i}{2i})} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty{[(\frac{-1}{2i})^n * (z-i)^n]}[/itex]