Lead tartrate turns black when heated, then ignites in air

  • Thread starter Thread starter Blade2point0
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chemistry Lead
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Blade2point0
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hello,

For my lab I was instructed to weigh out 1 gram of Lead Tartrate (PbC4H4O6)
and place it into a test tube. I was then told to hold the tube over the lit burner until the lead tartrate was completely black and smoke was no longer forming. I was then told to pour the black powder into a plastic container. As soon as it was released from the test tube the black powder burst into flames and released a yellow/green smoke.

I need to know what the black powder was (a pyrophoric version of lead maybe?) and if the reaction to oxygen in the air changed the black powder.

Any help would be wonderful, thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org