Learning at college about wave partile duality

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of wave-particle duality and how it applies to the behavior of light. While the double slit experiment is often interpreted as a wave phenomenon, Feynman proposed a particle interpretation using complex amplitudes. However, it is important to note that this does not deny the wave interpretation or suggest that only a particle interpretation is necessary. Quantum mechanics describes the behavior of photons in a mathematical model that is neither purely wave nor particle. Feynman clarified that when he refers to particles, he is not talking about classical particles, but rather the quantized bundles of energy that make up fields.
QueenFisher
i've been learning at college about wave partile duality, how some phenomena can only be explained using the wave theory, but for some background reading i decided to read QED and in the introduction feynman says light behaves like particles. can anyone enlighten me?

Physics news on Phys.org
This has been discussed on a number of recent threads but, because of the Feynman QED reference, perhaps a further explanation is appropriate. We can OBSERVE photons (and other "particles") as waves or as particles .

This depends on the kind of experiment we do; if the experiment depends on the momentum of the photon, then it can be interpreted as a particle with momentum and energy. If it is an interference type experiment, like the famous double slit, then it is usually interpreted as a wave phenomenon.

But Feynman saw a way to explain the slit experiment with a particle interpretation. He theorized that the particle has an amplitude which is a complex number (he never calls it that, but if you follow his rules for adding and multiplying his "little arrows", that is what they boil down to). The particle follows all possible paths in the experiment and you add up the amplitudes over the paths and most of them cancel each other out, and Presto! the interference comes out.

This does not mean Feynman denied the wave interpretation or said that only a particle interpretation is necessary. His book is, after all, a description of the QED field theory, in which fields are the primary constituents, and particles in any guise are just quanta, bundles of field energy that come and go.

Last edited:
We can OBSERVE photons (and other "particles") as waves or as particles .
Really? I say photons behave like waves between measurements, but behaves like particles WHENEVER observed. Double slit experiments only let us better infer photons wave-like behavior between measurements. There is no duality between experiments, there is quantum dynamics via Schrödinger eq. and there is quantum measurment via projection states into eigenstates.

Ratzinger said:
Really? I say photons behave like waves between measurements, but behaves like particles WHENEVER observed. Double slit experiments only let us better infer photons wave-like behavior between measurements. There is no duality between experiments, there is quantum dynamics via Schrödinger eq. and there is quantum measurment via projection states into eigenstates.

Quantum mechanics doesn't say what photons are like "between measurements" except to give them states in a Hilbert space which evolve unitarily. This is neither wave nor particle nor indeed anything defined in spacetime, but a mathematical model.

selfAdjoint said:
This does not mean Feynman denied the wave interpretation or said that only a particle interpretation is necessary. .

but he wrote 'I want to emphasise that light comes in this form - particles. It is very important to know that light behaves like particles, especially for those of you who have gone to school, where you were probably told something about light behaving like waves. I'm telling you the way it does behave - like particles.

so I'm still quite confused.
:confused:

I think the "particle" Feynman means is not a classical particle.If we use Feymann's theory to explain all,a classical particle do also have infinite paths to go from A to B,and each path has a complex amplitude.But different from the quantuam world,the amplitudes vary so fast that at last only one path is possible,and all information about the phase loses.So,in classical world,particle is particle, wave is wave;while in the quantum world,they entangle together.
Thanks for criticism.

1. What is wave-particle duality?

Wave-particle duality is the concept in quantum mechanics that states that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. This means that particles, such as photons and electrons, can act as both waves and discrete particles depending on how they are observed.

2. How does wave-particle duality relate to college learning?

Wave-particle duality is a fundamental concept in physics that is often taught in college-level courses. It is important for understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, and is relevant to many fields of science such as quantum mechanics, chemistry, and astronomy.

3. What experiments have demonstrated wave-particle duality?

There have been several experiments that have provided evidence for wave-particle duality, including the double-slit experiment, the photoelectric effect, and the Compton effect. These experiments have shown that particles can behave like waves, exhibiting interference patterns and diffraction, and can also act as discrete particles, such as when they interact with matter.

4. What is the significance of wave-particle duality in modern physics?

The concept of wave-particle duality has had a profound impact on our understanding of the universe and has led to the development of many important theories, such as quantum mechanics and the standard model of particle physics. It has also allowed for the development of technologies, such as lasers and transistors, that are essential in our modern world.

5. How can we reconcile the seemingly contradictory nature of wave-particle duality?

Although it may seem contradictory, wave-particle duality is a well-established concept in physics and has been supported by numerous experiments. It is often explained using mathematical models, such as the Schrödinger equation, which describe the behavior of particles in terms of probabilities rather than definite positions and velocities. While it may be difficult to fully comprehend, the evidence for wave-particle duality is overwhelming and has been crucial in advancing our understanding of the universe.