Learning mathematica for algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential purchase of Mathematica as a tool for algebraic geometry. The individual is seeking recommendations for packages that can assist with calculations and solving equations over finite fields, as well as a book that covers advanced topics and efficient use of Mathematica's built-in properties. The conversation also mentions the usefulness of Mathematica's online help resources.
eof
Hi All,

I'm thinking about buying mathematica as the student edition is pretty cheap. I would mainly need it for stuff like calculating with polynomial rings, finding generators for ideals, solving systems of polynomial equations etc. over finite fields i.e. I'm doing algebraic geometry mostly. I was wondering if there are any good packages for mathematica that would help with this stuff that I should know of?

There's also a bunch of free packages available like PARI/GP, Macaulay2 and so forth. I have zero experience with any of these computer programs even though I also majored in CS as an undergrad and have extensive programming experience since my early teens.

I was also wondering which book about mathematica I should buy? I'll much rather have something fairly advanced, since I don't need to be taught how to program from scratch and mainly just want the general syntax covered and the best practices of using mathematica's built-in properties efficiently. If it covers any of the functionality involving the kind of math I do, even better.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I like the online help quite a bit. I actually have not needed a separate reference book and I have been using Mathematica for ~13 years now. They have both "tutorials" that include a good introduction to a particular topic and an overview of the most important commands and they also have a more typical function-by-function description which is very thorough.

I would highly recommend learning Mathematica for algebraic purposes. Mathematica is a powerful tool for solving systems of polynomial equations, finding generators for ideals, and performing calculations with polynomial rings, making it an ideal choice for algebraic geometry. In terms of packages, there are several available that can assist with algebraic computations, such as the PARI/GP and Macaulay2 packages. These are free and can greatly enhance your use of Mathematica for algebraic purposes.

In terms of learning resources, I would suggest looking into books that cover advanced topics and best practices for using Mathematica. This will not only help you become proficient in the general syntax of the program, but also in utilizing its built-in properties efficiently. If you can find a book that specifically covers the type of math you are interested in, that would be even better. Additionally, I would recommend taking advantage of online tutorials and resources, as well as reaching out to other Mathematica users for tips and advice. With dedication and practice, I am confident you will become proficient in using Mathematica for algebraic purposes.

What is Mathematica and why should I learn it for algebra?

Mathematica is a powerful computational software program that allows you to perform complex mathematical calculations and visualize data. It is especially useful for algebra because it can handle symbolic equations and expressions, making it easier to solve and manipulate equations.

How do I get started with learning Mathematica for algebra?

The best way to start learning Mathematica for algebra is by familiarizing yourself with the user interface and basic functions. You can also find online tutorials and courses, as well as practice problems and exercises, to help you get comfortable with the software.

Can Mathematica help me solve algebraic equations step by step?

Yes, Mathematica has a built-in feature called "Step-by-Step Solutions" that can guide you through the process of solving algebraic equations. This can be especially helpful for beginners or when dealing with more complex equations.

What are some advanced features of Mathematica that can be used for algebra?

In addition to solving equations, Mathematica also has features such as plotting graphs, performing numerical and symbolic calculations, and creating interactive visualizations. These advanced features can help you explore and understand algebraic concepts in a more dynamic and interactive way.

Is Mathematica the only software I need for learning algebra?

No, while Mathematica is a powerful tool for algebra, it is not the only software you will need. It is important to also understand the underlying concepts and principles of algebra, and use other resources such as textbooks and practice problems to supplement your learning with Mathematica.