Learning theoretical physics on my own

In summary, if you are just looking to learn the basics of math and physics at a level that a high school student would understand, it is very realistic that you could learn it on your own. However, if you want to study these subjects at a deeper level, you will need to get a degree in physics.
KTNAJR
Hello, everyone.

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place ... anyway ...

I'm studying to be a biomedical researcher, but I have a great interest in physics and math, and I feel like I can't live without learning these sciences in a more deep way than I would need for my profession. Physics seems to me like the most essencial of the sciences.

Problem is, I have to survive, and unfortunately, a physics job isn't very financially rewarding in Brazil. The point is, I want to know the stuff.

I've considered getting a degree in physics after I get my current degree, but this seems too distant from the present.

My question is, how realistic am I being if I consider learning modern theorethical physics on my own? I have already a good basis in math, but I probably would have to study math before actually getting to physics. The thing is I want to study the real thing, I've read some books on quantum physics and relativity, but they're meant for the layman, they're more of exposing the facts than actually showing you why we know the facts are the facts.

Hope I made myself clear. Thanks, great forum.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to just learn generally about theoretical physics with some of the math behind it, yes it's very realistic that you could learn it on your own. Check out some of the Feynman lectures, they're really informative. But if you want to try to study on your own to understand theoretical physics at the level you would if you got a degree on it, I think it will take a good bit of dedication to the topic. I'm sure it's possible, but will require lots of diligent study.

Just go to any college library and go to the physics section. You'll find lots of literature on interesting things like black holes, quantum mechanics, dark matter, string theory, etc. Any library will do actually. If you don't want to dive in deep with actual physics classes, this seems to be the best thing a layperson can get in on.

I would say its very possible, but as others have stated it would take an enourmous amount of work. Are you trying to learn just the general basic of math and physics, like say lower divsion calc based physics level and math at the calc/elementary linear algebra/elementary DE's? Or are you trying to learn these subject on the level of a B.S. ?

You could look up your uni's required classes for the majors; for physics this usually means 2 semesters/2 quarters of CLassical Mechanics, 2 S/Q of E and M, 2 Semesters/3 Quarters of Quantum Mechanics plus electives) and for math its 2 S/Q of Linear Algebra 2 semesters/3 quarters of Abstract Algebra, 2 semesters/3 quarters of Analysis plus electives.

Get the books for these classes and use those as your "main" texts. You could also supplement your reading by getting books like the Schaum's outlines or the REA's problem solvers. Also Dover books are a goldmine of damn good and cheap books and sometimes the books take an approach to the subject from a different prospective that can really add to your understanding of the subject matter.

Here let me give you a list of books that I use in my classes and some that I have as "back ups":

General Physics for Scientists and Engineers - Mechanics, Waves, Thermo, E & M and Optics:
(Sears and Zemansky's) University Physics by Young and Freedman, 11E

Modern Physics - Speacial Relativity and Quantum Physics:
Modern Physics for Scientist and Engineers by Taylor, Zafiratos, Dubson, 2E

Mathematical Physics:
Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences by Boas, 3E

Upper Division Classical Mechanics:
Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems by Marion and Thornton, 5E

Upper Division Electricity and Magnetism:
Introduction to Electrodynamics by Griffiths, 3E

Upper Division Quantum Mechanics:
Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by Griffiths, 2E

Calculus:
Calculus by Larson, Hostetler and Edwards 4E (there are newer editions)

Elementary Linear Algebra:
Elementary Linear Algebra by Anton, 7E (newer edition available)

Elementary Differential Equations:
Introduction to Ordinary Differential Equations by Ross, 4E (newer available)

Math Proofs:
The Elements of Advanced Mathematics by Krantz, 2E

Number Theory:
A Computational Introduction to Number Theory and Algebra by Shoup, 2E (free download)

Upper Division Linear Algebra:
Linear Algebra by Friedberg, Insel and Spence, 4E

Analysis:
Elementary Analysis: The Theory of Calculus by Ross, 1E

Abstract Algebra:
A First Course in Abstract Algebra by Fraleigh, 7E

This list basically represents the foundation or "core classes" for a major in Math and Physics.

This next list is just a list of books that I've found to be very good and often very cheap if you put in a little time and effort to find the deals .

Math:
Schaums Outlines - Modern Abstract Algebra
Schaums Outlines - Group Theory
Schaums Outlines - Linear Algebra
Schaums Outlines - Advanced Calculus
Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms: A Unified Approach by Hubbard
Abstract Algebra by Herstein, 2E
Linear Algebra Done Right by Axler (get an international edition)
An Adventurer's Guide to Number Theory by Friedberg
Ordinary Differential Equations by Tenenbaum and Pollard
An Introduction to Ordinary Differential Equations by Coddington

Physics:
The Feynman Lectures on Physics by Feynman
The Mathematics of Relativity for the Rest of Us by Jagerman
Vibrations and Waves by French
Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers by Farlow
Div, Grad, Curl and All That by Schey
Quantum Mechanics in Simple Matrix Form by Jordan

Thank you for your replies.

I'm aware that it takes time and a lot of effort ... I just wanted to know if you considered it possible to grasp with it without a professor's guidance. The list of books will be very helpful.

Thanks, again.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How can I learn theoretical physics on my own?

Learning theoretical physics on your own can be challenging, but it is definitely possible. The best way to start is by familiarizing yourself with the fundamental concepts and theories through books, online resources, and lectures. It is also important to practice solving problems and to seek help from other physicists or online communities when needed.

2. Do I need a strong background in mathematics to learn theoretical physics?

Yes, a strong foundation in mathematics is crucial for understanding theoretical physics. It is recommended to have a good understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations before delving into theoretical physics. However, you can always review and improve your mathematical skills while learning theoretical physics.

3. Is it necessary to have access to expensive equipment to learn theoretical physics?

No, theoretical physics mainly involves understanding and applying concepts and theories, rather than conducting experiments. Therefore, you do not need access to expensive equipment to learn it on your own. However, having access to basic laboratory equipment can be helpful for conducting thought experiments and verifying theories.

4. How long does it take to learn theoretical physics on my own?

The amount of time it takes to learn theoretical physics on your own depends on various factors, such as your prior knowledge, dedication, and learning pace. It can take anywhere from a few months to several years to become proficient in theoretical physics. However, it is a continuous learning process, and you will always be discovering new concepts and theories throughout your journey.

5. Can I pursue a career in theoretical physics if I learn it on my own?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a career in theoretical physics even if you have learned it on your own. However, most careers in the field may require a formal degree in physics. Nonetheless, having a strong understanding of theoretical physics can open up various opportunities, such as working as a researcher, data analyst, or consultant.