Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven vs Spirit's Taurus

1. Oct 26, 2014 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2014 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

When will artists realize that musical ideas are just floating through the air, waiting for an artist to catch it and use it? (That's a rephrasing from what a very famous guitar player said, a few times.) Judge that!

4. Oct 27, 2014 #3
    Yes. They're only exactly the same for about two bars or so. I'd bet Zepplin would admit under truth serum they lifted those two bars straight from Spirit, but I think that's under the minimum requirement for plagiarism. The rest of "Stairway" is developed very differently from "Taurus," and is pretty clearly a different song.

5. Jun 19, 2016 #4

Astronuc

The civil lawsuit is being tried presently.

Led Zeppelin's Page Dodges Court Questions, Riffs Air Guitar
    http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...age-dodges-court-questions-riffs-air-39925725

A musician analyzes the songs, their similarity, and their differences.

I enjoyed Spirit and love 'Taurus', which is a wonderful piece of music. 'Stairway to Heaven' is OK, but it got overplayed. I'm glad Page and Plant made a fortune from it. That Taurus didn't catch on the same way is what happens in the marketplace.

6. Jun 20, 2016 #5

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

7. Jun 20, 2016 #6

russ_watters

I haven't listened to Taurus yet, but I did see a Facebook post once from an ignorant littlet twerp lamenting how this new band "Queen" had ripped off the riff from "Ice, Ice, Baby". :mad:

8. Jun 20, 2016 #7

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, me too. Page/Plant have been claiming that the riff was a not too terribly uncommon, traditional one (common enough at least that other musicians used it too, or variations of it). I guess that about wraps that up.

Ha! Yeah, forget about Spirit; Zeppelin stole all their stuff from the Beastie Boys. :biggrin:

9. Jun 21, 2016 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I have no idea how this will turn out - juries love the idea of someone successful having stolen from the less successful. However, there have been cases with a lot more similarity without a judgment or even without a lawsuit. Wingy Manone's "Tar Paper Stomp" and Joe Garland's "In The Mood", as an example.

10. Jun 24, 2016 #9

Astronuc

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted