1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Left/Right Communication with Alien Race by Richard Feynman

1. Mar 28, 2015 #1
    Hi all,

I was thinking about the problem and can someone verify my solution :

1) Set up a Magnetic field going from down to up, i.e north pole is at the bottom.
    2) Use the triboelectric series to charge some small particle positive (hair or glass with teflon)
    3) Throw that particle in forward direction in the magnetic field (i.e away from the aliens body).
    4) The direction the particle goes to is Right.
    5) Left is the opposite

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2015 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

What does this accomplish?

4. Mar 28, 2015 #3

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have omitted some details.

How do you define what is north and what is south?

How do you define what is positive and what is negative?

5. Mar 28, 2015 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

The definition of the magnetic field includes a cross product, which uses the right hand rule already.

6. Mar 28, 2015 #5
    Separation Between Positive and Negative charges can be done by the Triboelectric Series, but the difference between North and South poles of a magnet is not easy(Since there is no magnetic Monopole) and i assumed its know for the alien, i will keep looking for other solutions.

I wanted to help the alien learn about the right direction from the Positive charge behaviour in a magnetic field which follows the RHR.

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook