Lemma regarding polynomials with one for all coefficients

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of polynomials and their factorization patterns. The speaker mentions encountering problems in chapter three of a book on problem-solving, specifically with polynomials of the form P(x) = 1 + x + x² + x³ + ... + xn. They then discuss how these polynomials can be factored into a product of (x + 1) and other terms, depending on the degree n. They also explore the relationship between the powers in the polynomial and the powers in the factorization, noting that they follow a certain pattern. Finally, the speaker mentions the importance of finding a proof for this lemma and how it would greatly benefit the solutions to problems in the chapter.
jack476
I managed to get through all of the problems in chapter three of Problem Solving through Problems, and I am now on to chapter 4 in the section on polynomials. A few problems I have encountered so far involve polynomials of the form:

P(x) = 1 + x + x2 + x3 +...+xn

I noticed that when n, the degree of the polynomial, is a sum of the first k powers of two (starting from 0), then P(x) can be factored as such:

P(x) = (x+1)(x2+1)(x4 + 1)...(x2k + 1)

For example, 7 = 20 + 21 + 22 so:

1 + x2 + x3 + ... + x7 = (x + 1)(x2+1)(x4 + 1)

Furthermore, if the powers in the polynomial are successive multiples of m (starting from 0) then the powers in the factorization are the first k powers of two times m, for example:

1 + x4 + x8 + x12 = (x4+1)(x8+1)

Lastly, the same is true for an arithmetic progression of powers if the lowest power can be factored out to leave the appropriate form, for example:

x2 + x3 + x4 + x5 = x2(1 + x + x2 + x3) = x2(x + 1)(x2+1)

A proof of this lemma would be immensely useful, because if it is true then it provides extremely clean solutions to a number of the problems in the chapter, but I'm at a loss as to how to prove it.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Have you divided ##\sum_{i=0}^{n} x^{ip}## by ##x^n + 1##? Did you mean this?

That gave me an idea for an induction proof, I'll give it a try when I get back from work. Thanks :)

Try multiplying P(x) with (x - 1)...

Likes jack476 and mfb
Sorry that it took me a long time to get back to this, but I was able to find a more general proof. If P(x) is an all-one polynomial whose powers form a complete arithmetic progression, or are successive multiples, then if the number of terms in P(x) is not prime, it can be factored with no remainder into a product of other all-one polynomials whose numbers of terms are equal to the prime factors of the total number of terms. I'll attach my attempt at a proof.

Attachments

• lemma_all_one.pdf
    51 KB · Views: 202
Likes member 587159

What is a lemma regarding polynomials with one for all coefficients?

A lemma regarding polynomials with one for all coefficients states that if a polynomial has all coefficients equal to one, then the sum of all its roots is equal to the degree of the polynomial.

What does it mean for a polynomial to have one for all coefficients?

A polynomial having one for all coefficients means that all its coefficients are equal to one. For example, the polynomial x^2 + x + 1 has one for all coefficients.

How is the sum of roots related to the degree of the polynomial?

The sum of roots of a polynomial is equal to the negative of the coefficient of the term with the highest degree. In the case of a polynomial with one for all coefficients, the sum of roots is equal to the degree of the polynomial.

Can a polynomial with one for all coefficients have complex roots?

Yes, a polynomial with one for all coefficients can have complex roots. For example, the polynomial x^2 + x + 1 has complex roots of -0.5 + 0.866i and -0.5 - 0.866i.

What are some applications of this lemma in mathematics?

This lemma is useful in solving problems related to polynomials, such as finding the roots of a polynomial and calculating the sum of roots. It can also be used in the study of complex numbers and their properties.