Lemma used to prove Von Staudt's Theorem

• Thread starter DeadOriginal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation is about a reader working through the proof of Von Staudt's Theorem in Hardy's Intro to the Theory of Numbers. A lemma is first proved, stating that if (p-1)|k, then m^k ≡ 1 (mod p) and if (p-1) does not divide k, then g^k ≢ 1 (mod p). The reader is confused about Hardy's statement that the sets {g,2g,...,(p-1)g} and {1,2,...,p-1} are equivalent (mod p). However, the reader was able to figure out the reasoning behind this statement from a previous theorem. The reader also expresses their interest
DeadOriginal
I am reading Hardy's Intro to the Theory of Numbers and I am currently trying to work through the proof of Von Staudt's Theorem. Hardy first proves the following lemma.
$$
\sum\limits_{1}^{p-1}m^{k}\equiv -\epsilon_{k}(p) (\mod p).
$$
Proof: If ##(p-1)|k## then ##m^{k}\equiv 1## by Fermat's Theorem and
$$
\sum m^{k}\equiv p-1\equiv -1\equiv -\epsilon_{k}(p) (\mod p).
$$
If ##(p-1)\not|k## and ##g## is a primitive root of ##p## then ##g^{k}\not\equiv 1 (\mod p)##.

Everything makes sense so far, but then Hardy goes on to say:

The sets ##g,2g,...,(p-1)g## and ##1,2,...,p-1## are equivalent (mod p).

I don't see how these two sets are equivalent. I believe these two sets are residues but I am very confused about what residues are in general and so I cannot understand what Hardy means when he says that the two sets are equivalent. Any help to understand the last statement that Hardy makes or just any conversation about residues in general to help me understand them better would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
In case anyone else ever has this problem, I was able to figure out why the sets are equivalent. By a previous theorem about 100 pages or so before this lemma, Hardy proved that if (g,p)=1 and 1,2,...,p-1 are a set of incongruent residues mod p then g,2g,...,g(p-1) is also such a set.

I would still love to talk about anything that has to do with number theory and residues if anybody is interested.

1. What is the Lemma used to prove Von Staudt's Theorem?

The Lemma used to prove Von Staudt's Theorem is known as the "Von Staudt-Clausen Lemma".

2. Who discovered the Von Staudt's Theorem?

Von Staudt's Theorem was first discovered by German mathematician Georg Karl Christian von Staudt in the 19th century.

3. What is the significance of the Von Staudt-Clausen Lemma?

The Von Staudt-Clausen Lemma is significant because it provides a key step in the proof of Von Staudt's Theorem, which states that any rational number can be written as a sum of distinct unit fractions.

4. Can the Von Staudt-Clausen Lemma be used to prove other theorems?

Yes, the Von Staudt-Clausen Lemma has been used in various other mathematical proofs and has been shown to be a powerful tool in proving related theorems.

5. Are there any known counterexamples to Von Staudt's Theorem?

No, there are no known counterexamples to Von Staudt's Theorem. It has been proven to hold true for all rational numbers.