Lift Curve slope of wing , tail fin

  • Thread starter Thread starter c-note
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Curve Lift Slope
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 11K views
c-note
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Hi Guys,
Its great to be on this forum, some of the posts here have been really useful for me .
Anyway, I am trying to calculate the lift curve slopes of an aircraft wing, tail and fin. (3D wing)

The only data I have are the various quarter chord sweep angles, Aspect ratios of tail,fin wing , wing span, mean chord (c bar), various wing and tail areas , downwash gradient, speed and a couple of other parameters such as CL, CD etc.
I am not sure how to calculate the various lift curve slopes for the wing, tail and fin.
I have also been given the overall aircraft lift curve slope but not sure where to use it.


Homework Equations



I found this equation on the net but am not sure if its valid.
a = 2π / [(0.32 + (0.16 A / cos Λ¼)) (1 - (M cosΛ¼)2)½] per radian

source: http://www.pilotfriend.com/training/flight_training/aero/lift.htm

The Attempt at a Solution



All the parameters in the above equation I do have but I just need to know if anyone recognises this equation or if there is a better method. I can't find it graphically since I do not have any angle of attack data etc.

thanks for any help you can provide,
 
Physics news on Phys.org
For a 3D wing use:

af = 2pi / (1 + (2 / AR))

and use aspect ratio AR = b^2 / 2

Thanks,