Light intensity through three polarized lenses at 37°, 10°, and 82°

  • Thread starter Thread starter KingJaymz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Polarization
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
KingJaymz
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Hello everyone. I wanted to make sure I did this problem correctly. The problem is this:
A light with an intensity of 75 W/m^2 is shone through three polarized lenses. The first lens is tilted at a 37 degree angle, the second is at a 10 degree angle and the final lens is titled by 82 degrees. Find the final intensity of the light.

So this is my work:

75 W/m^2 X 1/2 (half of the light is filtered through the first lens) X cos^2(37-10) X cos^2(82-10) = 2.84 W/m^2

Is this the proper way to do this problem? This is the way our example from class was calculated, but I was a little bit hazy on the details, so I wanted to make sure that I did the work right. Thank you all.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by KingJaymz
Is this the proper way to do this problem?
Yes. I didn't check your arithmetic, but your method is correct.
 
Thank you very much. I've been away from this stuff for so long that it makes me question my methods at times.