1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Likelihood of inheriting autosomal dominant diseases

1. Jun 27, 2012 #1

Qube

Gold Member

This IS wrong. This only holds true if one of your parents is HETEROZYGOUS dominant.

Hh x hh => 50% chance of offspring having Huntington's disease.

However, if one of your parents is HOMOZYGOUS DOMINANT ..

HH x hh => 100% chance of offspring having Huntington's diseases.

Simple Punnett squares will verify the above.

Therefore, the probability should be 75% if one parent has Huntington's disease. Am I right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2012 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't know what you are quoting or context, but I'd guess this is an approximation based on homozygous being rare in the population.

The dynamics of Huntingdon's is a bit more complex than just the inheritance of a stable chromosome, and was explained in a recent thread on PF.

4. Jun 28, 2012 #3

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

You are making the faulty assumption that heterozygotes and homozygotes are equally abundant. In reality, the probability is 0.5p+(1-p), where p is the proportion of Huntington's patients who are heterozygous for the disease allele. As mentioned by epenguin, the disease allele is rare, so there are many more heterozygotes than homozygotes, and p~1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook