Limit of product of cosines with half-angle arguments

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
gop
Messages
55
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Calculate for [tex]x\in(0,\pi/2)[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{N\rightarrow\infty}\prod_{n=0}^{N}cos(\frac{x}{2^{n}})[/tex]

Hint: Use the Double-Angle Formulas for the sine.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]cos(x)\cdot cos(\frac{x}{2})\cdot cos(\frac{x}{4})\cdot...[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\sin2x}{2\cdot\sin x}\cdot\frac{\sin x}{2\cdot\sin x/2}\cdot\frac{\sin x/2}{2\cdot\sin x/4}\cdot...[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\sin2x}{2}\cdot\frac{1}{2}\cdot\frac{1}{2}\cdot...\cdot\frac{1}{2\cdot\sin x/N}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\sin2x}{\sin(x/{2^N})\cdot2^{N}}[/tex]
However, now I have to resolve the 0*infinity in the denom. But how do I resolve that.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't the N in sin(x/N) be like sin(x/(2^N))?
 
Then your denominator is a simple limit. It looks like limit c-> 0 of sin(c*x)/c, where c=1/(2^N).
 
BTW, make sure you've counted the 2's in the denominator correctly. I'm finding an extra one.
 
An alternative method that I find quite nice is to use the fact that cos(x/2^n) is the real part of exp(ix/2^n). The product of the exponentials becomes an easy geometric series in the exponent =]
 
You can also use a 'collapsing product'.

Note,
[tex]A_4 = \cos \frac{x}{2} \cos \frac{x}{4} \cos \frac{x}{8} \cos \frac{x}{16}[/tex]
Then,
[tex]\sin \frac{x}{16} A_4 = \cos \frac{x}{2} \cos \frac{x}{4} \cos \frac{x}{8} \cos \frac{x}{16} \sin \frac{x}{16}[/tex]
So,
[tex]2A_4\sin \frac{x}{16} = \cos \frac{x}{2} \cos \frac{x}{4} \cos \frac{x}{8}\sin \frac{x}{8}[/tex]
Again,
[tex]4A_4\sin \frac{x}{16} = \cos \frac{x}{2} \cos \frac{x}{4} \sin \frac{x}{4}[/tex]
Again,
[tex]8A_4\sin \frac{x}{16} = \cos \frac{x}{2} \sin \frac{x}{2}[/tex]
Last time,
[tex]16A_4\sin \frac{x}{16} = \sin x[/tex]
That means (since [tex]x\in (0,\pi/2)[/tex])
[tex]A_4 = \frac{\sin x}{2^4 \sin \frac{x}{2^4}}[/tex]
And in general,
[tex]A_n = \frac{\sin x}{2^n \sin \frac{x}{2^n}}[/tex]
 
Gib Z said:
An alternative method that I find quite nice is to use the fact that cos(x/2^n) is the real part of exp(ix/2^n). The product of the exponentials becomes an easy geometric series in the exponent =]

Did you try doing it that way? I take the product of the exponentials and I get exp(i*2*x). Now what? The real part of that doesn't have much to do with the product of the real parts of the terms. That trick doesn't ALWAYS make things easier.
 
Damn It I assumed that the Real part of a product is equal to the product of the real part :( Never mind me =]