Integral Product of Cosines to Show Orthogonality

In summary, the conversation is about solving a mathematical problem using integral tables. The solution involves rewriting the integral in terms of cosines and then considering the cases when m = n and when m ≠ n. In the case of m = n, the integral is equal to zero, while in the case of m ≠ n, the integral is equal to a constant term. The constant term does not integrate to a sine, resulting in the integral being zero. The conversation also touches on the importance of understanding the fundamentals of trigonometry in solving mathematical problems.
royblaze

Homework Statement

Show that (forgive me for not knowing how to use latex)

from x=0 to x=1 of:

∫cos([(2n+1)(pi)/2]x)*cos([(2m+1)(pi)/2)]x) dx = 0, for m ≠ n

Homework Equations

The question tells me to use integral tables.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using integral tables, I got

∫(1/2) [cos((A-B)x) + cos((A+B)x)] dx from 0 to 1.

A, B are equal to (2n+1)pi/2 and (2m+1)pi/2 respectively.

However, when I evaluate the integral and I get sines, the x merely becomes a 1 and I get a little confused after that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is ## \int_0^1 \cos \alpha x dx ##?

I believe it is sin(ax)/a evaluated from 0 to 1, so that would be sin(a)/a, correct?

Exactly correct. Now substitute A + B and A - B.

For the integration from 0 to 1, for (a+b) and (a-b) respectively I get:

sin(a+b)/(a+b)

sin(a-b)/(a-b)

Since it is basically a sum of integrals, I can just sum these (with the accompanying 1/2), correct? But I don't know what else after that: this is where I got confused.

There is one problem with you derivation. When A = B, you cannot integrate cos (A - B)x as sin (A - B)x / (A - B), because A - B = 0. However, cos (A - B)x = cos 0 = 1, and that can be integrated. What is the result? Note this is for m = n.

In all the other cases, what are sin (A + B) and sin (A - B)?

voko said:
There is one problem with you derivation. When A = B, you cannot integrate cos (A - B)x as sin (A - B)x / (A - B), because A - B = 0. However, cos (A - B)x = cos 0 = 1, and that can be integrated. What is the result? Note this is for m = n.

In all the other cases, what are sin (A + B) and sin (A - B)?

Right, okay, so if m = n, then the cosine term immediately becomes cos(0) = 1, and the integral of 1 in this case would just be the variable x. But why are we considering m = n?

As for the second question... I guess that A+B would be a positive number and A-B would be a negative number? In all other cases... I'm a little confused by what you mean. Hopefully I am interpreting correctly.

We are considering m = n because A - B = 0 in the integrand is not a cosine but a constant.

For other cases, look at what A - B and A + B really are. What is the sine of them?

voko said:
We are considering m = n because A - B = 0 in the integrand is not a cosine but a constant.

For other cases, look at what A - B and A + B really are. What is the sine of them?

Ah! You mean the literal sine of the quantities A + B, A - B, right?

So the sum of A and B are sums of (σ∏)/2, where σ is some constant made by the sum of two odd numbers. And the sum of any odd numbers is an even number. Which puts the A + B into the form of just σ∏. Sine of a multiple of ∏=0.

The difference of A and B would give the same type of result, right?

I hope I'm following correctly. I still don't know the grounds for considering m = n when the question asks to prove the case for m ≠ n. I'm guessing this will all be revealed through this work.

I thought I got the proof, but I did not...

Last edited:
Oh what the hell I'll just say it.

Since any sum of A and B (negative sum or otherwise) gives an even number multiple of ∏, then the sin (A+B) and sin (A-B) terms would give zero.

royblaze said:
Oh what the hell I'll just say it.

Since any sum of A and B (negative sum or otherwise) gives an even number multiple of ∏, then the sin (A+B) and sin (A-B) terms would give zero.

Exactly. Unlike the m ≠ n case.

In the m ≠ n case though, it is just a sum of ∏/2 terms. And any sum (negative or otherwise) of ∏/2 terms gives a term of ∏, which for sin = 0. So if n = 1000 or m = 12312412, the sine of A + B or A - B would still be zero, no?

By turning the product of the cosines into a sum of cosines, then it becomes clear that the integral in question would be zero after evaluation, I believe.

You have proven this, but since you sound a bit unsure, I will repeat that for you :)

Both A and B are an odd number of pi/2, so both their sum and their difference is an even number of pi/2, that is to say, some integer number of pi, the sine of which is zero. Hence the integral is zero unless m = n, when there is a constant term, which does not integrate to a sine.

Awesome Voko, thanks so much. You did an excellent job of leading me to my own conclusion. Thanks again!

It would be nice if I could give you a +1 or something along those lines. Great help!

1. What is the integral product of cosines to show orthogonality?

The integral product of cosines to show orthogonality is a mathematical concept used to prove that two functions are orthogonal over a specific interval. It involves taking the integral of the product of two cosine functions over the given interval and showing that the result is equal to zero. This indicates that the two functions are perpendicular to each other and do not share any common area under their curves.

2. How is the integral product of cosines used in real-world applications?

The integral product of cosines is used in many fields of science and engineering, such as signal processing, physics, and astronomy. It is used to determine the correlation between two signals or functions, which is essential in analyzing data and making predictions. It is also used in solving differential equations and modeling physical systems.

3. Can the integral product of cosines be extended to other trigonometric functions?

Yes, the concept of integral product of cosines can be extended to other trigonometric functions such as sine, tangent, and secant. The only difference is that the integral product of these functions will not always result in zero, but rather a value that indicates the level of correlation between the two functions.

4. Is the integral product of cosines the only way to prove orthogonality?

No, there are other methods to prove orthogonality, such as using dot products and inner products. However, the integral product of cosines is one of the most commonly used methods as it is straightforward and intuitive, especially when dealing with trigonometric functions.

5. Are there any limitations to using the integral product of cosines to show orthogonality?

One limitation of using the integral product of cosines is that it only works for functions that are continuous and defined over a finite interval. It cannot be used for functions that are discontinuous or defined over an infinite interval. Additionally, the integral product of cosines may not always provide accurate results if the functions being analyzed have high levels of noise or variability.