Limit of (x - sin x)/(x + cos x) as x tends to infinity

  • Thread starter Thread starter quackdesk
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Infinity Limits
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
quackdesk
Messages
7
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


http://prikachi.com/images/26/4273026B.gif


Homework Equations




The Attempt at a Solution


I'm having problems in solving the limit which is shown on the gif file .
As you see I use L'Hopital's rule 2 times and I get to a point when I should divide -sinx with sinx which results in -1 instead of 1 which is the right answer according to the key.

P.S sorry for posting the same thread in another sub-forum before I came here.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
quackdesk said:

Homework Statement


http://prikachi.com/images/26/4273026B.gif


Homework Equations




The Attempt at a Solution


I'm having problems in solving the limit which is shown on the gif file .
As you see I use L'Hopital's rule 2 times and I get to a point when I should divide -sinx with sinx which results in -1 instead of 1 which is the right answer according to the key.

P.S sorry for posting the same thread in another sub-forum before I came here.

You should have stopped after the first differentiation. (1+cos(x))/(1-cos(x)) doesn't have indeterminant form. You can't apply l'Hopital again. And the limit of that expression as x->infinity doesn't exist. So l'Hopital doesn't apply. You'll have to think of another way to find the limit or show one doesn't exist.
 
Solving this limit may help (you can even use l'Hopital's rule!)
lim x->infinity sinx/x