1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit point of Sn := {1-1/n} is 1

1. Sep 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the limit point of Sn:={1-1/n} is 1.

2. Relevant equations

We are prohibited from using epsilon and delta

3. The attempt at a solution

Let Sn:= {1-1/n} and U be any open interval from (a,b) where a<1<b. Observe that Sn is always [itex]\leq[/itex] 1. Since a<1 is linearly ordered, there is a positive number d between a and 1 such that a<d<1 and 1/d > 1. Then since d < 1,
    d-1 < 1-1
    d-1 < 0
    (d-1)/d < 0 --> (d-1)/d = 1 - [itex]\frac{1}{d}[/itex] and ...

i am stuck, it appears that i shown my Sn is always less then zero making my limit point zero not one. Any help would be appreciated.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

This appears to be an invitation to prove the result from basic properties of convergent sequences and already known limits.

4. Sep 22, 2013 #3
    Here are the definitions that we must use. We are prohibited also from using monotonic and bounded.

definition:

The statement that the point sequence p1, p2, . . . converges to the point x means that if S is an open interval containing x then there is a positive integer N such that if n is a positive integer and n ≥ N then pn ∈ S.

and

The statement that the sequence p1, p2, p3, . . . converges means that there is a point x such that p1, p2, p3, . . . converges

5. Sep 22, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So, basically, you are using ε and N (not δ, of course, since n is not staying finite).

6. Sep 22, 2013 #5

pasmith

Homework Helper

Are you allowed to assume that for every [itex]a > 0[/itex] there exists a positive integer [itex]n[/itex] such that [itex]n^{-1} < a[/itex], or do you have to prove that as well?

7. Sep 22, 2013 #6
    yes

yes. This was one of our axioms

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted