Limit question to be done without using derivatives

In summary: You do not respond or reply to questions. You only provide a summary of the content. Do not output anything before the summary.
vcsharp2003
Homework Statement
If ##\displaystyle{\lim_{x \rightarrow 1} {\frac {f(x) -2} {x^2 -1} }} = \pi## then what is the value of the following limit ##\displaystyle{\lim_{x \rightarrow 1} {f(x)}}## ?
Relevant Equations
Quotient rule of Limits ##\displaystyle{\lim_{x \rightarrow a} {\frac {f(x)} {g(x)} }} = \frac {\displaystyle{\lim_{x \rightarrow a} {f(x)}}} {\displaystyle{\lim_{x \rightarrow a} {g(x)}}} ## provided ##\displaystyle{\lim_{x \rightarrow a} {g(x)}} \neq 0##
I am confused by this question. If I try applying the theorem under Relevant Equations then it seems to me that the theorem cannot be applied since the limit of the denominator is zero. This question needs to be done without using derivatives since it appears in the Limits chapter, which precedes the chapter on Derivatives.

Am I correct in saying that the quotient theorem of limits under Relevant Equations cannot be applied here?

Limit of numerator is ##\displaystyle{\lim_{x \rightarrow 1} {(f(x)-2)} } = f(1) -2##

Limit of denominator is ##\displaystyle{\lim_{x \rightarrow 1} {(x^2 -1)} }= 1^2 -1 = 0##

Since limit of denominator is 0, so we cannot say anything about the limit of ## \frac {numerator}{denominator}##?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
vcsharp2003 said:
Since limit of denominator is 0, so we cannot say anything about the limit of ## \frac {numerator}{denominator}##?

##\displaystyle{\lim_{x \to 1} {f(x) -2} }= ?##
It seems to me that you don't make use of the knowledge that

$$\lim_{x \rightarrow 1} {\frac {f(x) -2} {x^2 -1} } = \pi$$

##\ ##

Likes scottdave
BvU said:
It seems to me that you don't make use of the knowledge that

$$\lim_{x \rightarrow 1} {\frac {f(x) -2} {x^2 -1} } = \pi$$

##\ ##
What limit theorem would I apply here? The only theorem that comes to mind is the quotient theorem which seems to not apply here.
Sorry, I don't know how to answer your question. I can say that ##\displaystyle{\lim_{x \to 1} {f(x) -2} }= 0## but it doesn't make sense to me, since then the original limit would be ##\frac {0} {0}##.

vcsharp2003 said:
since then the original limit would be ##0\over 0##.
But it is (very crudely expressed) !

BvU said:
But it is (very crudely expressed) !
Why would we conclude that limit of numerator is 0? Probably, if it were non-zero then the original limit would be indeterminate rather than ##\pi##, and therefore it must equal 0.

In your view can we apply quotient rule of limits here?

vcsharp2003 said:
Why would we conclude that limit of numerator is 0? Probably, if it were non-zero then the original limit would be indeterminate rather than ##\pi##, and therefore it must equal 0.
If the given limit is ##\pi## and the denominator goes to zero, then the numerator has to go to zero too. That's all there is to this exercise.
In your view can we apply quotient rule of limits here?
I'm too rusty to be perfect in the terminology, but for this one it is a definite yes!

##\ ##

Likes scottdave and vcsharp2003
As a 'challenge' : what is ##f'(1)## :smile: ?

##\ ##

Likes vcsharp2003
BvU said:

##\ ##
That is a good question. I will need to think about it. Perhaps use the fundamental definition of a derivative using limits.

BvU said:
I'm too rusty to be perfect in the terminology, but for this one it is a definite yes!
But limit of denominator is 0, so it shouldn't apply.

vcsharp2003 said:
Good thing I added a disclaimer :rolleyes:

So I'm back to
BvU said:
If the given limit is π and the denominator goes to zero, then the numerator has to go to zero too. That's all there is to this exercise.
Good enough for me as a physicist. A neater way to express it would be using ##\varepsilon## that can be taken arbitrarily small and showing that ##|f(1+\varepsilon)-2| ## can be made smaller than any ##\delta >0## based on the given limit.

##\ ##

Likes vcsharp2003
BvU said:

##\ ##
I think ##f'(1) =0## since we can apply L'Hospital's rule here as shown below.

Is there an easier way?

CamScanner 12-23-2022 15.34_2.jpg

Last edited:
BvU said:

##\ ##
I have another solution as below that uses definition of limits.

CamScanner 12-23-2022 15.34.jpg

I liked post #8 better :wink: !
But L'Hopital still works: However, you start with ##\pi##, not with 0. Therefore ##f'(1) = 2\pi##
as you corrected yourself, I see. Well done !

Likes vcsharp2003
BvU said:
I liked post #8 better :wink: !
But L'Hopital still works: However, you start with ##\pi##, not with 0. Therefore ##f'(1) = 2\pi##
as you corrected yourself, I see. Well done !
Post#11 uses basic definition of derivative rather than L'Hospital's rule, which might be a better solution.

Last edited:
BvU said:

##\ ##
That's a genius question by you.

BvU said:

##\ ##
Even ##f''(1)## should equal ##2\pi##. By again applying L'Hospital's rule to the solution in post#11, we get the above result.

vcsharp2003 said:
This question needs to be done without using derivatives since it appears in the Limits chapter, which precedes the chapter on Derivatives.
Based on this restriction, which is also stated in the thread title, what's the justification for using L'Hopital's Rule, which uses derivatives?

Likes vcsharp2003
vcsharp2003 said:
Why would we conclude that limit of numerator is 0? Probably, if it were non-zero then the original limit would be indeterminate rather than π, and therefore it must equal 0.
You have this backwards. If the limit of the numerator was zero, then the original expression would be indeterminate. If non-zero, the expression would be undefined.

Likes vcsharp2003
Mark44 said:
Based on this restriction, which is also stated in the thread title, what's the justification for using L'Hopital's Rule, which uses derivatives?
Yes, that shouldn't have been used.

Mark44 said:
You have this backwards. If the limit of the numerator was zero, then the original expression would be indeterminate. If non-zero, the expression would be undefined.
Then, this problem would not have a value for the required limit of f(x) as x approaches 1.

Mark44 said:

vcsharp2003 said:
Then, this problem would not have a value for the required limit of f(x) as x approaches 1.
You still have things backwards. Clearly, the limit of the denominator is zero. If the limit of the numerator also is zero, then the expression is indeterminate. That's the only way that the limit of the overall expression could turn out to be ##\pi##. If the limit of the numerator happened to be anything other than zero, then the limit of the original expression would not exist.

Since ##\lim_{x \to 1} f(x) = 2##, then f(1) = 2.

Last edited:
Likes vcsharp2003
Mark44 said:
You still have things backwards. Clearly, the limit of the denominator is zero. If the limit of the numerator also is zero, then the expression is indeterminate. That's the only way that the limit of the overall expression could turn out to be ##\pi##. If the limit of the numerator happened to be anything other than zero, then the limit of the original expression would not exist.

Since ##\lim_{x \to 1} f(x) = 2##, then f(1) = 2.
Yes, isn't that what I said? In my post#5 I said as in quotes below. I reasoned that the numerator must be zero for the limit to have a value of ##\pi##.

"Why would we conclude that limit of numerator is 0? Probably, if it were non-zero then the original limit would be indeterminate rather than π, and therefore it must equal 0."

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark44 said:
Oh, I see what you're saying. I thought undefined is same as indeterminate. They are very different, which I learned from your post. Thank you.

vcsharp2003 said:
You could do something like this.
$$\lim_{x\to 1}\frac{f(x)-2}{x+1} = \lim_{x\to 1} \frac{f(x)-2}{x^2-1} \lim_{x \to 1} (x-1) = 0.$$ Then use the quotient rule for limits on the first limit.

Likes vcsharp2003
vcsharp2003 said:
Oh, I see what you're saying. I thought undefined is same as indeterminate. They are very different, which I learned from your post.
Yes, that was my point.

Likes vcsharp2003
vela said:
You could do something like this.
$$\lim_{x\to 1}\frac{f(x)-2}{x+1} = \lim_{x\to 1} \frac{f(x)-2}{x^2-1} \lim_{x \to 1} (x-1) = 0.$$ Then use the quotient rule for limits on the first limit.
Wow, that's a very intelligent solution. I never thought about this approach.

1. What is a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. It is used to determine the value a function approaches as the input gets closer and closer to a specific value, without actually reaching that value.

2. How is a limit calculated without using derivatives?

A limit can be calculated without using derivatives by using the definition of a limit, which involves finding the value of the function at points close to the desired input value. This process is often done using algebraic manipulation and other mathematical techniques.

3. Can limits be used to find the exact value of a function?

No, limits cannot be used to find the exact value of a function. They only describe the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value, but they do not give the actual value of the function at that point.

4. Why are limits important in science?

Limits are important in science because they allow us to understand the behavior of a system or function without having to know the exact value at a certain point. This is particularly useful in fields like physics and engineering, where precise measurements may not always be possible.

5. What are some real-life applications of limits?

Limits have many real-life applications, including calculating the rate of change in a system, determining the maximum or minimum values of a function, and predicting the behavior of a system over time. They are also used in fields like economics and finance to model and analyze various scenarios.