1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's method of estimation - using derivatives

1. Dec 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Newton devised the following method for approximating a real root of the equation f(x) = 0. i.e. a real number for which f(r) = 0. We begin by guessing an approximation, say x1, to the real root r.

(i) Find the equation of the line tangent to the graph of y = f(x) at the point (x1,f(x1)). Assume f is differentiable and f’(x1) ≠ 0.

(ii) Newton felt that the x-intercept of the tangent line in part(i) would be a better approximation to r than x1. Label the point of intersection of the tangent line in (i) with the x-axis (x2,0). Find x2 in terms of x1, f(x1), and f’(x1).

(iii) The above procedure may now be repeated using the tangent line at (x2,f(x2)). If f’(x2) ≠ 0 this leads to a third approximation, x3, where (x3,0) is the point of intersection of the x-axis with the tangent line at (x2,f(x2)). Find x3 in terms of x2, f(x2), and f’(x2).

If done correctly, you have just derived Newton’s method, which can be written as:
    To approximate the real root of r of f(x)=0, begin by guessing an initial approximation to r, say x1, For n = 1, 2, 3, … let xn+1 = xn – f(xn)/f’(xn). Under “good” conditions the sequence xn will converge to r.

(iv) Approximate k^.5 for k > 0 by applying Newton’s method to f(x) = x^2 – k with the initial guess x1, You have just derived the method Heron used around 100 A.D. to approximate k^.5.

2. Relevant equations
    To approximate the real root of r of f(x)=0, begin by guessing an initial approximation to r, say x1, For n = 1, 2, 3, … let xn+1 = xn – f(xn)/f’(xn). Under “good” conditions the sequence xn will converge to r.

My work
    (i) for (x1, f(x1))
    y – f(x1) = f’(x1)(x-x1)
    y = f’(x1)(x-x1)+f(x1)
    (ii) for (x2,0)
    0=f’(x1)(x2-x1) + f(x1)
    -f(x1) = f’(x1)(x2-x1)
    x2 – x1 = -f(x1)/f’(x1)
    x2 = x1 – f(x1)/f’(x1)
    (iii) for (x2, f(x2))
    y – f(x2) = f’(x2)(x-x2)
    y = f’(x2)(x-x2)+f(x2)
    (ii) for (x3,0)
    0=f’(x2)(x3-x2) + f(x2)
    -f(x2) = f’(x2)(x3-x2)
    x3 – x2 = -f(x2)/f’(x2)
    x3 = x2 – f(x2)/f’(x2)
    (iv)
    f(x) = x^2 –k
    f’(x) = 2x
    xn+1 = xn – (n^2-k)/(2n)
    xn+1 = xn – n/2 – k/(2x)
    xn+1 – xn + n/2 = – k/(2x)
    (xn+1 – xn + n/2)*(-2n) = k

Any help on the work is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Cool! Um... what seems to be the problem?
    ... this is where you lose me: what is your reasoning here?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook