Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear alignment conveyor design

1. Jul 28, 2014 #1
    I have a tub randomly filled with light longitudinal parts like pencils or matches. My goal is to gather them into a buffer nicely aligned (independently of which end is facing side). What's the fastest way to achieve this?

I have considered unconventional bowl feeder with substantial radius conveying part radially from the filled drum, what do you think?

Also, linear feeder with a grooved vibro-plate but that still brings misaligned stacked parts. Is it solvable by stepping down the conveyor and putting up vertical constraints? Even then, how do I proceed to stack everything neatly?

Any way to evaluate this theoretically?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2014 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Consider a sheet conveyor belt hanging in a catenary loop. As the belt advances, items dropped onto the belt will slide diagonally until they become aligned and roll. If the belt is then stopped they will be in a bundle.

By arranging a similar wide belt with a slight slope down the valley, the elongated objects will align and roll, then gradually feed to the low end of the valley where they can be gathered and bundled.

4. Jul 30, 2014 #3
    I'm not a native English user so I want to clarify this for myself. Is this the mechanism you had in mind?

catenary.jpg

Reversing direction of conveyor the already aligned pieces would roll down to the B section or did you have any other idea?
    Also, what would be the width of such buffer? My guess is the length of a single piece but would the whole bunch of them orient? How should I evaluate the structure. Thanks for the answers!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook