Linear Programming Theory, Optimality Criterion Question

In summary, the optimality criterion in linear programming states that if the objective row of a tableau has zero entries in the columns labeled by basic variables and no negative entries in the columns labeled by nonbasic variables, then the solution represented by the tableau is optimal. This is always true because optimality is always attained at one of the vertices of the feasible set, and any direction away from that point will result in another vertex, leading to a contradiction. To better understand this concept, it is recommended to further study the idea that optimality is achieved at one of the corners of the feasible set.
ayas
Linear Programming Theory, "Optimality Criterion" Question

In a (theory oriented) linear programming class, I am studying the simplex method. The basic feasible solution represented by a tableau is said to be 'optimal' when it respects the Optimality Criterion:
'If the objective row of a tableau has zero entries in the columns labeled by basic variables and no negative entries in the columns labeled by nonbasic variables, then the solution represented by the tablau is optimal'
I don't know how to convince myself that it is always true!)
Can you explain why it is always true?
Thks,

How I see it:

Let's say we have m basic variables and n nonbasic variables.The objective row in the first tableau has:
- only negative values (or sometimes 0) corresponding to the coefs of the nonbasic variables
- all zero values corresponding to the coefs of the basic variables Then by successive tableaux, we manage to have only nonnegative values in the objective row. WHEN WE GET HERE, the Optimality Criterion says 'you're done, z is at its maximum value'. But what tells me that there is no way to arrange the values of the basic variables (without making them zero, just changing from positive to another positive) so that z grows again?

PS: beyond answering this question, I would be very glad if someone had an internet link to a website that explains deeply (and maybe play arround with) the theory of linear programming. I'd like to have an intuitive approach to the theory; i.e. be able to explain every detail 'because it will feel obvious'. A link to a book be great too. The book that I'm using so far is the one by Kolman and Beck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I am not an expert and the answer is not short, but I can give you two main items for better understanding,

First is optimality will always be attained on one of the vertices (by some reasonable assumptions). Proof is not that complicated.

Second is, suppose the nonbasic variables are not positive but the point is optimum. Then, I can say that going in that direction will give me another optimum, but it should be a vertex also, from the first item. Then, this is a contradiction. Similar argument can be done with the basic variables.

So, regarding to your latter question, since we have the optimality on one of the vertices, We are always on two or more active constraints that makes the basic variables zero, in other words, on the corners of the feasible set. I hope this sentence rings a bell (pen and paper is so much easier for these)

If you elaborate these ideas, I am sure you will end up with a more consistent understanding. And if I did some error please correct me.

What is Linear Programming Theory?

Linear Programming Theory is a mathematical optimization technique used to find the best possible solution to a problem with linear constraints. It involves creating a mathematical model of the problem, identifying the objective function, and using algorithms to find the optimal solution.

What is the Optimality Criterion in Linear Programming Theory?

The Optimality Criterion in Linear Programming Theory is a rule or condition used to determine the optimal solution to a problem. It can vary depending on the type of problem and the constraints involved. Some common optimality criteria include the simplex method, the dual simplex method, and the interior point method.

What are the main applications of Linear Programming Theory?

Linear Programming Theory has a wide range of applications in various fields such as economics, business, engineering, and healthcare. It can be used to optimize production and distribution processes, financial planning, resource allocation, and many other real-world problems.

What are the limitations of Linear Programming Theory?

Linear Programming Theory is limited to solving problems with linear constraints and a single objective function. It also assumes that all the variables involved are continuous and can take any value. In some cases, this may not accurately reflect the real-world problem, and other optimization techniques may be more suitable.

How does Linear Programming Theory differ from other optimization techniques?

Linear Programming Theory differs from other optimization techniques in that it focuses on finding the optimal solution to a problem with linear constraints. Other techniques, such as nonlinear programming and dynamic programming, can handle more complex problems with nonlinear constraints and multiple objectives.