Linear to Circular Polarisation Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of wave plates on entangled pairs of photons and the conversion of linear polarization to circular or elliptical polarization. It also poses questions about the results of measuring entangled states in different bases. The Jones formalism is mentioned as a way to understand the effects of optical elements on different polarizations.
StevieTNZ
I have some questions referring to wave plates.

We have an entangled pair of photons as |H>|V> - |V>|H> and both go through 22.5 degree orientated half-wave plates. |H> is converted to |45> and |V> is converted to |135> (so the description is now |45>|135> - |135>|45>). So inputting the polarisation |H> (regardless if the photon is in the possibility being |H> polarised, or if the photon is actually |H> polarised) into the half wave plate does not produce the output |45>-|135> (a superposition)? Are those two statements correct?

However I am a bit confused when converting photons, either in superposition or in definite polarisation, to the |R> and |L> axis. If we inputted a definite |H> polarised photon into a quarter wave plate orientated at 45 degrees (if that is the correct orientation and wave plate to convert from |H> or |V> to circular polarisation), would the output be a superposed state of |R> +|L>? With |V> polarised photon it would be –i|R>-|L> [the same would apply if the photon was in a superposition of being either |H> or |V>, and one of the superposition terms, |V>, would produce the same wave plate output -i|R>-|L>].

Likewise, if we measure (using wave plates and PBS orientated in the H/V basis) the entangled state |H>|V> - |V>|H> in the R/L basis, would the output of wave plates be for the first |H> be |R> + |L>, the
|V> = -i|R>-|L>, then for the 2nd half of the entangled state (starting with -|V>), - -i|R>-|L> and the |H> =|R>+|L>. If we expanded over these terms, could we only find one photon as |R> and the other as |L>, or would it be both |R>|R> or |L>|L>, or both of those possibilities?

I hope the above questions are clear. If not, please let me know.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe this helps. In the Jones formalism, the only difference between linear polarization vectors and circular (or elliptical) polarization vectors is that the latter include complex components. So if you know how optical elements act on linear polarization you should be able to deduce their effect also on other polarizations.

1. What is linear polarization?

Linear polarization refers to the orientation of an electromagnetic wave's electric field. In a linearly polarized wave, the electric field oscillates in a single direction as the wave propagates.

2. What is circular polarization?

Circular polarization refers to the orientation of an electromagnetic wave's electric field. In a circularly polarized wave, the electric field rotates in a circular motion as the wave propagates.

3. How is linear polarization converted to circular polarization?

Linear polarization can be converted to circular polarization by passing the wave through a quarter-wave plate. The quarter-wave plate changes the phase of one component of the electric field, resulting in a circularly polarized wave.

4. What are the applications of circular polarization?

Circular polarization is commonly used in antennas and satellite communications, as it allows for better signal reception and transmission. It is also used in 3D glasses, where the different orientations of circularly polarized light are used to create the illusion of depth.

5. Can linear and circular polarization coexist?

Yes, linear and circular polarization can coexist. This is known as elliptical polarization, where the electric field traces an ellipse as the wave propagates. This can occur naturally or can be intentionally created by manipulating the phase and amplitude of the wave components.