Linux Mint keybinding utilities?

• Thread starter jack476
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linux
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's attempts to use Wine to run Windows programs on Linux Mint 17.2. They are looking for a way to highlight specific lines of output and quickly search them on Google using a key combination. They mention a potential solution in a Linux Mint community tutorial.
jack476
I've been doing some fiddling with Wine trying to force a few Windows programs to cooperate in Linux Mint 17.2. What I'm looking for is a way to highlight individual lines of output (I would imagine that there's already a key combination for this, but I just don't know what it is) and then set a key combination that I can use to automatically bring up highlighted text in Google in my browser (Firefox, if that matters).

Being able to do that in a few keystrokes would just be very convenient for me.

Computer science news on Phys.org

1. What is a keybinding utility?

A keybinding utility is a program or tool that allows you to assign specific keyboard shortcuts or combinations to perform certain actions or commands on your computer. It helps to increase efficiency and productivity by reducing the need for using a mouse or navigating through menus.

2. How do I access the keybinding utility in Linux Mint?

To access the keybinding utility in Linux Mint, you can go to the "Keyboard" settings under the "Preferences" menu. Alternatively, you can also use the "dconf Editor" tool to configure more advanced keybinding settings.

3. Can I create my own custom keybindings in Linux Mint?

Yes, you can create your own custom keybindings in Linux Mint. The keybinding utility allows you to assign any desired key or key combination to a specific action or command. You can also modify existing keybindings or create new ones according to your preferences.

4. Are there any default keybindings in Linux Mint?

Yes, there are several default keybindings in Linux Mint that are predefined and cannot be changed. These include common shortcuts such as Ctrl+C for copy, Ctrl+V for paste, and Ctrl+Z for undo. You can view and modify these default keybindings in the keybinding utility settings.

5. Can I use keybinding utilities in all applications on Linux Mint?

In most cases, yes, you can use keybinding utilities in all applications on Linux Mint. However, some applications may have their own specific keybindings that may override the ones set in the keybinding utility. In such cases, you may need to configure the keybindings within the application itself.