Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Liquid ice cream tastes pretty good

1. Sep 27, 2009 #1

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I discovered this by accident and decided to duly inform the scientific community. Same great taste without the hassle (or the cold); it's faster & easier to consume (e.g. during the commute), so the question is, why isn't it marketed widely?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2009 #2
    Surely if its not frozen its technically not 'ice' cream.

4. Sep 27, 2009 #3

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If manufacturing (or marketing) was my thing I would sell it as "nice cream."

5. Sep 27, 2009 #4
    Well, there are a few similar products; frappuccino for one.

As the temperature increases you would reduce the sugar content to balance the sweetness. How the taste buds pick up signals is a function of temperature, I've heard.

Here's something on it, though it hardly needs support.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7100291" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Sep 28, 2009 #5
    ummmm, isn't liquid ice cream the same as a milkshake?

7. Sep 28, 2009 #6

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Liquid ice cream is sold all over, however it's perishable so it's typically sold frozen to increase its shelf life. An alarming amount of people seem to forget to defrost it.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  8. Sep 28, 2009 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

I do not care for melted ice cream; it's kind of hard to keep it from dripping out of the bottom of the cone. But if you really love the stuff, places that sell soft ice cream get it in liquid form to pour into those machines that freeze and whip it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook