Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Log expansion for infinite solenoid

1. Feb 15, 2013 #1
    Hello, I found an approximation for this log function:

[tex] log \Bigg(\frac{\Lambda}{\rho} + \sqrt{1 + \frac{\Lambda^2}{\rho^2}} \Bigg), [/tex]

where [itex] \Lambda \rightarrow \infty [/itex]. The above is approximated to the following,

[tex] -log \bigg(\frac{\rho}{\rho_o} \bigg) + log \bigg(\frac{2 \Lambda}{\rho_o} \bigg). [/tex]

How is this done? I tried expanding the [itex] \sqrt{1 + x^2} [/itex] term, but I still don't get how they arrive to the above approximation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

I have no idea why this was sent to linear algebra section . . . And I do not know how to move it to classical physics. . .

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is ##\rho_0##? It appears in the second expression but not the first.

4. Feb 15, 2013 #3
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  5. Feb 15, 2013 #4
    Wow, never mind. Clearly I am being silly here, for [itex] \Lambda \rightarrow \infty [/itex].

[tex] log\bigg( \frac{\Lambda}{\rho} + \sqrt{1 + \frac{\Lambda^2}{\rho^2}} \bigg) \rightarrow log \bigg( \frac{ 2 \Lambda}{\rho} \bigg) \rightarrow log(2 \Lambda) - log(\rho). [/tex]

As for the [itex] \rho_o [/itex] I have no idea why that enters the equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook