News London terror attack 3/22/17

• Thread starter StevieTNZ
  • Start date
I think the phrase 'grievous bodily harm' refers to actual physical contact of some kind, not just threatening.
Though 'grievous' can mean 'upsetting' someone, not necessarily injuring them.

I think the phrase 'grievous bodily harm' refers to actual physical contact of some kind, though 'grevous' can mean 'upsetting', not necessarily injuring someone.
It seems plain to me that this term should only be used when actual physical contact has been made, but the law is almost never as straightforward as laymen assume.

"Assault, including grevous bodily harm," might, in fact, be a legal term meant to distinguish between a vague threat to 'mess you up,' and a more specific threat to 'break every bone in your body". It's hard to say, but I'm thinking along these lines because it's very hard to believe he could have actually caused anyone "grievous bodily harm," and not have done serious jail time for it.

I am certainly no legal expert, but from what I know of real life situations in the UK, 'GBH' can be something like shoving somebody out of the way who is blocking you from getting to the bar for your next drink. No .. not me personally !!!, but that isn't time in jail stuff.
I was once charged with assault though for shouting at a shop assistant who had accused my girlfriend of robbing stuff when that was not true.
(The result was a minimal fine)

On Topic:
It seems the guy had a history of roughness and aggression, but no record of religious or political fanaticism

Last edited:

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Now they have found a less risky-to-get-access-to alternative than bombs to mass murder.

I am certainly no legal expert, but from what I know of real life situations in the UK, 'GBH' can be something like shoving somebody out of the way who is blocking you from getting to the bar for your next drink.
If that's the case, it would completely explain it then: 'GBH' is overly-applied to situations where the bodily harm is not actually "grievous" at all, therefore doesn't result in jail time.

Yeah. there is 'ABH', actual bodily harm, which is anything from punching to shooting someone.
Probably poisoning is in that category as well

Last edited:
Today, a similar attack is deflected in Antwerp:

"He was looking to kill people and to cause something dramatic," Hollande said in a statement.
Belgian public broadcaster RTBF reported the individual detained in Antwerp was too inebriated with alcohol to initially answer questions from police, had drugs in his possession and was believed to be possibly linked to drug trafficking.
Earlier this month, a suspected Islamist extremist who was shot dead by police after taking a female soldier hostage at Orly airport was under the influence of alcohol, cannabis and cocaine, according to toxicological tests cited by French prosecutors.
The incident comes one day after an attack in London -- which started with a driver plowing into people with a vehicle -- killed three people...
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/23/europe/belgium-antwerp-car-intercepted/

"Copycat" phenomenon, I'd say.

Last edited:

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I live in London and whilst this is a tragedy for the people who lost their lives and their families the overwhelming mood is one of calm. This isn't like the July 7 bombings, it's not inspiring fear like a coordinated attack. People are just getting on with their day perfectly fine and it barely gets a mention. In this situation I feel it's the best response. One nutter, trying to do his best to hurt people and strike fear and it's largely just brushed off.

mheslep

Gold Member
One nutter...
I agree with all above except this.There's no evidence I've seen that indicates the attacker was crazy. A loon operates almost by definition in isolation. Loons don't have a group like ISIS claim responsibility for the attack (true or false). The public may not respond differently, but politically or religious driven attackers require a different response from law enforcement. And law enforcement has reacted differently. For instance, it threw Anjem Choudary in prison for supporting ISIS.

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Thread closed for moderation

Evo

Mentor
Thread should have been locked when that forum was closed.