Looking for a high level book on projectile physics?

In summary, the speaker is a 3rd year physics student looking for textbook suggestions for their project titled "The Physics of Projectiles". The project will involve creating things like catapults and crossbows, and will consider air resistance, which most textbooks do not cover. They are seeking recommendations for books at a suitable level and are also looking for the title and author of a specific book on the topic.
jeebs
Hi,
I am currently on the 3rd year of a 4 year physics degree, and I have a project for the semester entitled "The Physics of Projectiles". I am in need of suggestions for textbooks where I can get some good info on this topic.

It is going to involve making things like catapults, crossbows, etc. and is going to take into account air resistance, which most textbooks don't seem to do when addressing projectile motion.

So, if anyone can reccomend to me any good books of a suitable level for what I need, I would be very grateful. I was actually shown what looked like a good book on this topic, the title of which was "[Something] Structures", but I can't remember what the author's name was. If anyone knows what this book's full title and author's name is, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about projectiles do you want to focus on? I imagine there is quite a bit involved with even the most "minor" aspect of projectiles - more than you could probably cover in a semester anyways.

Hello,

I would recommend "Projectile Dynamics in Sport: Principles and Applications" by David James and Paul Ward. This book covers the physics of projectiles in a variety of sports, including archery, javelin, and ballistics. It also includes discussions on air resistance and other factors that affect projectile motion.

Another great book is "The Physics of Sports" by Angelo Armenti Jr. This book covers a wide range of topics in sports physics, including projectile motion. It also includes examples and problems for students to practice.

For a more in-depth and advanced text, "Mechanics of Projectile Impact and Penetration" by Roy Cole is a comprehensive resource on the mechanics of projectiles and their interactions with solid materials.

I am not familiar with the book you mentioned, but based on the title you provided, it could possibly be "Projectile Dynamics: Mechanics and Physics of Impact and Penetration" by R. Kinslow.

I hope these recommendations help you with your project. Good luck!

1. What is projectile physics?

Projectile physics is the study of the motion of objects that are launched or thrown into the air and move under the influence of gravity.

2. Why is projectile physics important?

Projectile physics is important because it helps us understand and predict the motion of objects in the real world, such as projectiles launched from cannons or thrown by athletes.

3. What are some key concepts in projectile physics?

Some key concepts in projectile physics include velocity, acceleration, trajectory, and range.

4. Can you recommend a high level book on projectile physics?

Yes, "Projectile Dynamics in Sport: Principles and Applications" by Michael Hubbard is a highly recommended book that covers the principles of projectile motion and their application in sports.

5. What math skills are needed for understanding projectile physics?

A solid understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and basic calculus is necessary for understanding projectile physics, as it involves calculations of velocity, acceleration, and trajectory.