Looking for a mathematically rigorous definition of a Quantum Field

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter LarryS
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
5 replies · 315 views
LarryS
Gold Member
Messages
365
Reaction score
35
TL;DR
Mathematically rigorous definition of a Quantum Field?
I am trying to teach myself QFT. So, that includes understanding the mathematical definition of a Quantum Field. My education is in math, not physics, so for me the theory IS the math. Wikipedia defines a quantum field simply as an operator-valued distribution. But apparently, it does not end there. There are the Wightman Axioms and the Haag-Kastler Axioms and Algebraic QFT.

Is there one true definition of a quantum field? If so, where can I read about it?

Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
LarryS said:
Wikipedia defines a quantum field simply as an operator-valued distribution.
Is there something lacking in mathematical rigor with this definition?

LarryS said:
Is there one true definition of a quantum field? If so, where can I read about it?
What kind of thing are you looking for in a "one true definition"?
 
renormalize said:
You should look at the 4 Wightman axioms W0-W3 and their consequences, as summarized for example here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wightman_axioms
But those axioms don't work for 3+1 QFT, at least that's what I understand from Witten's and Jaffa's Millenium prize proposal.
We don't have a constructive QFT for 3+1 dimensions.
 
I would look at Folland's book or Talagrand's "What is a quantum field theory".