Looking for a word similar to aimed toward, but not active

  • Thread starter Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
13 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
2,856
Reaction score
12,705
I have been thinking about biological processes that have agency (there are many examples). Where agency is the ability for a process to make responses that will maximize the likelihood of it achieving some goal (in biology, its usually reproduction).

Software (or other mechanistic structures) agents have their own human created goals to achieve. Biology's goals are often have something to do with reproduction or with steps leading to reproductive success.

My issue it that I'm inclined to say that the biological processes are aimed at reproduction, but that implies a process that was created with that goal in mind. This sounds active to me.

Biology does this mindlessly, without intent, but selecting the successful variants, which just happen to have that property and survive well. This is a much more passive thing. It is more like a "this is what we got from the process" point of view to me.
I am trynig to find a word to replace aimed at above.

I have thought of:
built to achieve
assembled toward achieving


Any other suggestions?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Borek and Rive
Biology news on Phys.org
Depending on the actual context, maybe: tends?

But maybe you can approach it in a roundabout way, with the culling of the less reproductive/successful being an active process.

Ps.: by the way it's a really good question. Reproduction becoming imperative during the evolution is a really sensitive and often misunderstood thing: hard to convey it right, with carefully removing the hint of any goal...👍
 
Last edited:
BillTre said:
I have been thinking about biological processes that have agency (there are many examples). Where agency is the ability for a process to make responses that will maximize the likelihood of it achieving some goal (in biology, its usually reproduction).
That is all I have read (and very quickly) from this topic you started. I can most fast pick words of "virulence", "potency", "viability". Maybe these help, or not so much. I will continue reading more of the topic.

...
Now did read more; I am thinking, "survivability", or maybe evolutionary selection?
 
BillTre said:
biological processes are aimed at reproduction
biological processes are naturally oriented towards reproduction

biological processes are naturally inclined towards reproduction
 
How about simply "revolve around"?
 
DaveC426913 said:
How about simply "revolve around"?
To be pithy how about "evolve around"?
 
A few more words, but something like:

biological processes that[/color] enhance reproduction[/color]...
are more likely to proliferate
have an obvious advantage (in the next generation)
are selected for
.
.
.
et cetera
​
 
... tends, randomly but inexorably, towards reproduction

or maybe "stochastically" -- that always sounds good :cool:
 
You could go the other way:

...biological processes are - like teenage boys - inordinately preoccupied with reproduction...
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Tom.G and BillTre
Kind of old thread I know, but it was in the "similar threads" of another current thread I was on.

I'd look at it the other way 'round. Instead of "the biological processes are aimed at reproduction,", which you admit are passive ("Biology does this mindlessly, without intent, but selecting the successful variants, which just happen to have that property and survive well. This is a much more passive thing."), how about:

Enhanced reproduction/survival is the product/result of successful biological processes. Biological processes which do not result in improvement of the reproductive rate tend towards failure.

I think this removes the intent from it, and takes it from active to passive? It's just a result, like mixing yellow and blue paint makes green. No intent there either.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Tom.G and BillTre
"...passively situated unto..."
"...effectively postured to..."
But I think your point is erred: The processes are indeed actively set upon reproduction. You're thinking one level too far in your knowledge of the inanimate and non-agency nature of evolution. "Active" does not need to mean active with intent, much less with mind. There are predictable pathways of action in inorganic chemistry, via thermodynamics. Biologists are often worried about the layperson misunderstanding evolution, but a simple note as to the non-intentionality suffices here. Reproduction and evolution are inexorably married and the one leads to the other, in both directions.