Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for resources to do with energy transfer.

1. Jun 27, 2008 #1
    in every element energy is used up to link the protons/neutrons together etc.

I am looking for a table that shows how the energy required increases as the number of protons/neutrons increases in the nucleus of the elements.

i've searched Google quite a while a can't seem to come across one, do any of you guys know where i could find such a table.

Sorry if i havnt explained it clearly i was told it was a famous graph that explains a lot about physics i.e atom bombs etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2008 #2

neu

I presume you're referring to the average nuclear binding energy per nucleon with respect to mass number.

There's an example on this page: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nucene/nucbin.html

The essential idea is that Iron happens to be the most tightly bound nucleus, so an energy yield is possible by splitting heavy nuclei into lighter one's (fission), or by inducing the formation of heavier nuclei from very light nuclei (fusion).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?