Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for Star Wars-like flight physics

1. Jun 14, 2013 #1
    I was wondering if I could get a critique of the following pseudo-physics to explain why my sci-fi story includes dogfights in space. I don't want to totally ignore the impossible physics, but I'm looking for something simple. No hardcore sci-fi fan is ever going to buy it anyway. And, yes, it's intended to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Thanks, Dirk.

Andrew asked, How come you’re able to bank without spinning out of control? There’s no gravity or atmosphere up here?

The entire outer surface of the fighter is coated in hypermatter, Joseph said. It’s an exotic element that provides resistance in a vacuum comparable to the effects of atmospheric flight. A little like flying through mud. It allows ships to bank, pitch, and yaw almost as if they were in the air. No one knows why it works, but it makes for great dogfights.

Is it related to hyperspace?

No. Hyperspace is totally different and was discovered first. Then, whatever nut invented hypermatter probably just thought the name sounded cool.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It uses unobtainium, which is standard.
    "Exotic matter" does have a special meaning in physics different from how the character appears to mean.
    The material's use is just to make combat "look cool" ... i.e. it has no practical value (and appears to hamper actual nanogravity combat - opening a story possibility where some uncouth uncool degenerate gains an unfair advantage just by not using the stuff)

Since the main point is to look cool - engineers could always just rig jets to simulate the presence of an atmosphere in the ships behavior without the need for unobtainium.

4. Jun 18, 2013 #3

Andrew​
    How come you’re able to bank without spinning out of control? There’s no gravity or atmosphere up here?

Joseph
    Due to the fact that this is a Troma Entertainment Production. With Michael Bay set to direct and story by credits to Will Smith. Audience expectation of flow field physics in a near vacuum will be limited to Stephen Hawkings and Michio Kaku.​

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook