1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Losing ability of solving problems.

1. Oct 9, 2013 #1
    Hi guys!

Well, when I was a B.Sc and/or a M.Sc student I used to solve lots of exercises from books in order to prepare myself for exams. I was really familiar with many methods for solving ODE and PDE by hand and I was comfortable by doing it.

But since 3 years I am only working in research and, since the equations involved in my field (turbulence modeling) are unsolvable by hand for the complex situations which I work on, I just stopped to really "solve" them and in the last years I have focussed in their interpretation and in the understanding of concepts. Because of that, now I feel I have lost/forgotten a lot of tools required for solving the simple cases by hand, even when I understand the equations much better than what I did 3 years ago.

Do you think this situation is normal? or I am doing something wrong?

Thanks a lot for your comments...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2013 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Unfortunately yes, it's normal to lose your skills if you don't use them on a regular basis.

The good thing is that re-learning them isn't all that difficult if you were proficient once.

4. Oct 10, 2013 #3

ZombieFeynman

Gold Member

Twice a year, typically around holidays, I take a couple undergrad physics books off the shelf and a math methods book. For example:

Byron and Fuller, Griffiths E&M, and Morin's Classical Mechanics. Then I try to solve a bunch of problems over a few days cold. If I forget a technique I give myself a crash course. Every christmas, spring holiday, Thanksgiving, etc I try to do this. It's nostalgic and fun.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook