Luminol reaction with hydrogen radicals in sonochemiluminescence

  • Thread starter Thread starter rwooduk
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Reactions
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
rwooduk
Messages
757
Reaction score
59
I am currently using luminol to visualise cavitation via sonochemiluminescence. When bubbles in solution are exposed to ultrasound they cavitate and draw vapour inside them. The bubbles crush the vapour breaking bonds and radicals are produced.

These radicals then do the following (from my own work)...

The mechanism can be described as follows; luminol (I) exists predominantly as the monoanion species (II) oxidising the •OH and producing the diazaquinone radical anion (III) [17]. This species react with •O to form a hydroproxide addition product (IV) which through decomposition and relaxation forms the aminophthalate monoanion (V), this deactivates via florescence and emits characteristic blue light at 430 nm [13, 17-20].

My question is, what if there were •H radicals in solution instead of •O radicals, could the same reaction happen?

I have the idea that I could look how luminol reacts with oxidents, or if it is used as a radical detector, but I am unsure of where to start.

Also what would the main differences be between H and O radicals in a physical sense?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts / ideas on this.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes, all sorted now, the problem was the environment in which the reactions were taking place that could produce radicals in different numbers. Paper on the way (hopefully!)